Chapter Five (Rewritten)

Chapter Five

I wander aimlessly down the halls, my room far behind me now. I wonder if the other girls are still going on about the Prince or if they're interest ha s finally shifted to something else. Either way, I'm sure my new appearance will continue to make them curious about the Prince. At least for a little while. I'll just have to endure it until then. I turn a corner down another hallway and hear the sound of voices.

"I command you leave my room at once!" A woman shouts. As I quicken my pace down the hallway, the voices become louder and clearer. "This betrothal is arranged by law. I will not adhere to it in my private time!"

"Please, Princess." A man, who I assume is Prince Eric, pleads. "I want to make this work. It's what's best for our kingdoms."

It's no surprise that the new couple is fighting. The excitement over the marriage arrangement is clearly one-sided, and I can't blame the Princess for being upset. I can't begin to imagine how she must feel being handed over as a peace treaty between kingdoms.

The door to the Princess's room suddenly opens just as I rush by. I look up in surprise, my heart pounding, and my eyes meet with the Princess's. She looks at me with a cold eyes, and murderous intent as she takes hold of my arm and yanks me inside, slamming the door behind her.

"You little wench!" She shouts before shoving me against the door. My head collides with the wood and I grunt from the pain. My vision blurs as I slump to the floor. "How dare you eavesdrop on a royal!"

"Rose, please calm down." Prince Eric says, his voice calm. His request only seems to anger her more as she grabs a fistful of my hair and begins to drag me across the floor. I cry out in pain and claw at her hands to free myself, but my attempt has no effect. "Rose, you're hurting her. Please stop."

"I told you to leave." She growls at Prince Eric. She releases me and I immediately crawl away, the room spinning too much for me to get to my feet or choose the correct direction. I don't get far before she kicks me in the ribs. I collapse from the blow and she takes the opportunity to kick me onto my back. She places her foot to my throat and presses down, just enough to make breathing difficult. "Insolent servant." She says through gritted teeth, her eyes blazing with anger. "This offense is punishable by death. I'll take care of you right here and now."

She presses down harder and cuts off my air completely. I stare up into her blazing eyes as I struggle to gasp for air. After all the close scrapes I've had with the Prince, I always thought if anyone would kill me, it would be him. Instead it's Princess Rosalinda, who I've only encountered once before this. I was sure the Prince would make it quick, but Princess Rose is the type to enjoy watching her prey suffer first.

"Rose, you can't do this!" Prince Eric shouts. "At least give the girl a chance to explain herself." The Princess let's out a hiss as her reply, before pressing down harder.

I just make out the slight curve at the corner of her lips before my vision goes blurry and my eyes start to close. I may not have worked here long, but hopefully the little I was able to make can help my parents. To make them happier.

"Sister, please try to restrain yourself." The sound of Prince Demetri's voice suddenly causes a wave of relief to wash over me. Despite not being able to open my eyes or move my body, I feel as if my life has been saved.

"Restrain myself?" She lets out a humorless laugh. "This wench was eavesdropping. Death is the only solution."

"She's a servant Rose. It's our word against hers. Besides, father is already pissed at me for killing one. Imagine how he'll feel having to replace two."