Chapter 7 - a missleading trail

I saw his eyes shift to each part of my car: the logo; steering wheel; seats; windows.

"Impressive, I bet you don't even know what this car is called." Monty sneered.

"Of coursed." I scoffed. "It's a Mercedes."

"It's a Mercedes C-class, I've been looking for new cars." Right, I thought to myself, he had asked me for a lift earlier because he said he hasn't got a car. Which surprised me as one of the richest bachelors around London should at least have a car to show off.

"Are you even old enough to drive a car?" I teased.

"I'm 21." He answered without any sign of amusement. We had been slugging behind an old-looking vehicle throughout this pointless conversation, I decided to speed up this awkward journey so I 'stepped on it'.

We manoeuvred between the morning traffic efficiently and with haste until we arrived at our destination. Monty swung out the car as soon as I cut the engine. I glared at him stride off towards the stage where Mr Boatsy stood with a tiresome smile on. I sighed lightly and slid out.

"My Boatsy." I glided towards him and the stage.

"Detective." He nodded hello. "Your assistant seems busy." Monty had already ducked underneath the rope that separated the cockpit and the V.I.P area and was exploring the stage.

"Mhm." I answered with a monotone hum.

"Not much of a crime scene eh?" -I nodded in agreement- "This was where the famous Jack-Jack had 'poofed'." I gave him a look. "A fans words not mine." -he carried on- "According to witnesses backstage Jack-Jack seemed quite 'out of it': pacing up and down; asking for his duffel bag even though it was in the same place he had left it every time he went to it, which was a lot of times."

"Drugs?" I folded my arms.

"Were found in his suitcase, yes."

"Some Idol." I muttered.

Suddenly a buzzing sound emanated from Mr Boatsy's trouser pocket. He fiddled his way into his his trousers and tugged out a brick phone. "Gotta get this." He answered the answered the ancient piece of plastic. Oh wow it still works, amazing. The conversation seemed pretty one sided as I only heard 'Mhms' and 'Yeses' from Mr Boatsy's side.

"I need to get back to the office." He started back to his car before I could reply.

The was a slight eerie breeze just enough to make you hair flicker. Slowly turning around I decided to take in my surroundings. The cockpit was a misshapen rectangle of dirt and litter that had been left there on the night. The V.I.P area, however, was almost like an outside cinema: cushioned seats that looked like arm chairs; cup holders; a concrete floor covered with a black carpet. I saw Monty squatting, he seemed intrigued by something on the stage floor so I decided to weave through the V.I.P area up onto the stage.

"A trap door." Monty said out of the blue. "It has a company name on it I'm going there." He said as he got up and started to jog off. Where does he think he going?

"You mind waiting up for me?!" I called after him.

"No!" He called back jogging past my car and out of the arena gates. What? How's he gonna get there then? "Don't worry I'll find away!" Monty answered my question.

"You can't go without me! I am your superior!" I ordered "Montgomery!" I screamed.