Chapter 9 - Fresh coffee and fresh cuts

The immediate sweet, chemical stench of drugs stung our nostrils as soon as Monty and I stepped into the the pop star's humble abode. We had walked straight into what looked like a sitting room. At one end of the pigsty of a room was an archway leading to the kitchen and at the other end were 2 doors. I guessed they lead to the bathroom and bedroom. There was one massive window in the sitting room with the curtains drawn only letting in drips of lights to see.

"Best not open the curtains we don't want the world to see what we're doing." I said to Monty.

Flies hovered around kitchen cupboards. The place looked recently abandoned.

"Start searching." I ordered Monty pulling on my gloves. Straight away he walked over to a modern desk with a computer placed on it.

Repeatedly I tried flicking the light switch. "I guess the bills haven't be paid." I muttered to myself.

"What was that?" Monty called.

"Nothing. We'll just have to work in the dark."

I spotted a black duffel on a coffee table in a dark corner of the room. It was hard to see anything, right now my only light was from the laptop Monty had just switched on. I started rifling into the dark depths of the bag. I pulled out camera and inspected it. Interesting, Sylvia was engraved into its silver casing. I thought I had enough light but I failed to see the already blood stained knife as it drew red path down my palm.

"Gah!" I winced from the slight pain. Monty swivelled round in his chair with a confused look as I pulled the sharp object from the bag.

" That is certainly some hard evidence." Monty looked at my hand. "I don't have a plaster for that."

"It's fine." I pulled off my glove and put the knife and camera in an evidence bag.

"Look at this." Monty beckoned me towards him and the computer. "Your private flight to Germany has been booked, thank you for flying with Fliegender Luxus flights." He read aloud. "Dammit! We'll never get him." Monty slammed his his fist on the desk making a coffee cup shake. The coffee cup, the coffee cup. I dunked my finger without warning into the still warm liquid.

"Ugh! What are you doing?! You got old coffee all over me."

I wiped my hand on my jeans. "Fresh coffee."

"What?" Monty stood up cleaning himself.

I sighed and rolled my head. "Fresh, warm coffee. He hasn't long been gone."

"London airport lets go." Month ecstatically rushed out the room, I along with him grabbing the bags.