Danny

It was Wednesday morning, and the alarm beeped offensively. I rolled over sleepily and, in an attempt to shut it off, knocked it off the nightstand. Groaning, I reached for it, not wanting to move from my comfortable position. Groaning again, I shifted, looking for the alarm clock. Turning it off, I placed it back on the nightstand. I quickly changed into clothes, and started about my morning routine. I turned in the tv while I made some bacon and eggs.
I sat down to eat them, quickly saying grace. I watched the news, knowing I'd end up turning it off anyways.
"The biggest headline?" The tv news reporter started, "the fact that commissioner Reagan will not take Officer Gonzales off the force-"
"Oh, shut up." I turned the tv off, generally hating the news. Didn't matter if it was about the pc, or about a dog that swam fifty miles to be with its owner. I hated it all. Although.... Linda would probably find that dog story cute. I hadn't seen Linda since Monday, and I felt strange about that. I couldn't pinpoint the feeling, and I hated that....
*******
Weeks went by, and I didn't see Linda at all. Plus, I didn't hear a thing about the case. Which is why Thursday the 17th, found me at the hospital. I looked around for the beautiful blonde, but I couldn't find her. Because my dumbass pride wouldn't let me ask someone, I stood there like an idiot.
"Danny?"
I turned around to see who had called my name, hoping it was Linda. And whaddaya know? "Linda!"
"Danny, what are you doing here? You're not hurt, are you?" Worry seemed to coat her voice.
"No, I'm not hurt. Just wondering about the case. You know, with Willow?"
"Oh, yeah. Yeah, they close that. That son of a bitch is going to jail. For a long time. It was his third offense, you know."
I smiled, the way she said that was adorable.
"And I still have no idea why Willow thought she knew me."
I shrugged, and, before I had a chance to process what I was going to say, I blurted out, " that's great about the case! Why don't we go out to celebrate?"
"Celebrate? You and me? Together? All alone?" Linda sounded a little scared.
"Um.... yeah?"
"Okay, that oughta be fun. So, um, does... seven work for you?"
"Uh, seven's," I cleared my throat and scratched the back of my head. "Seven's great."
"Good! But... I can't do it tonight." She sounded disappointed.
So did I, "Oh..."
"But I am free next Tuesday." Linda looked at me like she thought I knew what I was doing next Tuesday.
" I might have to be working the graveyard shift next Tuesday. I don't know yet. But.... if you give me your number, I'll call you and let you know."
"You got some paper?"
"Uh, yeah." I took out the note pad I use to write down notes and statements and stuff while on the street and in the car on patrol.
Linda smiled and took the pen from her pocket. I watched her scribble her number, then draw something. "I gotta get back to my shift, but I'll see ya next Tuesday."
"Maybe."
"Maybe." She grinned, "see ya, Danny."
Oh, the way she said my name... "Bye, Linda." I watched her walk away, her blonde hair bouncing in the cute braids she had. I really hoped I wasn't doing the graveyard shift...