Linda

I stared at my phone many times during the days I didn't see Danny. I stared at it, almost willing it to do something. Call Danny by itself, receive a call from Danny, just something! See, I was still stuck in my 'guy-calls-girl' state of mind. It wasn't until late Sunday evening, while I was brushing my teeth, did I get a call. I spit out the toothpaste and quickly rinsed with mouth wash. "O'Shea residence, this is Linda."
"Hi, Linda. It's Danny."
Yes!! "What's up?"
"You wanna try that dinner thing again on Tuesday?"
"Tuesday?" I walked over to the wall calendar, "Uh, Yeah, Tuesday works. Same time? Seven?"
"Seven works. See you then?"
"Yeah, Bye, Danny."
"Bye, Linda."
I waited for him to hang up before I put the phone down. I laughed joyously and clapped my hands together. Excited, I turned a few cartwheels, very happy I was going to see Danny again.
*********
Tuesday didn't come fast enough, as is the case whenever you're waiting for something good. Initially, I had the day off, but one of the nurses who worked half days banged in sick. I covered for her, arriving home around two o'clock in the afternoon. I took about an hour shower, then dried my hair. And the time between three thirty and seven, I changed outfits many times. I didn't know what to choose! Finally I decided on a green skirt and tank top combo, the top see-through with a light lime green tank top underneath. I chose the same light lime-colored shawl to match. I paired it with white sandals and a white purse. Maybe I was overdressed, but I didn't have a choice, because the doorbell rang. How grateful I was that Jimmy wasn't there! "Who is it?"
"Danny!"
I smiled and opened the door, "Come on in."
"Nice outfit."
"Thanks. I like yours, too." He wore black pants and a jacket (which would probably be discarded because it was still hot outside) and a grey sweater-like-vest with black piping. A white shirt and grey tie to match the vest finished off the outfit. Much more dressy than the 'non-date'. (It was a date, everyone, despite what we both say).
"Where do you wanna eat?" Danny wondered, watching me check my purse.
"Anywhere's fine. You got paid, right?" I held some money in my hand.
"Even if I hadn't, I couldn't ask you for money. But, yes, I did get paid."
I smiled, but stuffed the money in my purse anyways. Justifying my reasons, I told him, "you never know when you might need a little extra cash."
"How much?" Danny asked a little bluntly.
"Huh?"
"How much is a little extra? You should never carry around more cash than you're prepared to lose."
I nodded my head, "that a fact, Officer?"
Danny smiled, "it's a very good fact, Nurse."
I smiled again, "it's only twenty bucks."
"Did you know that you could be arrested and released on bail based off of the money you carry around?" He told me as I locked my door.
"Really?"
"Yeah. I was in Boston with a friend, and my friend broke a law down there. It was like a traffic law. He was on bail for fifty bucks."
"Did he get out?"
"Yeah, I got him out. But just remember that."
I nodded, "I will." I stopped in front of his car, "this isn't the same car as last time, is it?"
"Uh... no."
"You have two cars? How can you pay for that?"
Danny sighed, "I kinda lied to you. Not really. The Chevelle isn't mine. It's my brother's, Joe's."
"Why didn't you tell me?" I wasn't mad, just curious.
"Dunno." Danny shrugged, blushing, looking at the ground. "I, uh, maybe..... sorta.... wanted to, Uh, impress you?"
I smiled, "oh, Danny. That's sweet. But I don't give a damn about cars."
He looked up, you don't?"
"No. Besides...." I picked at my purse, "you already impressed me. With your cooking. I'd much rather have a man who can cook than a man with a fancy car."
Danny grinned, "then what say we go to the diner in this shitty hunk of metal?"
I laughed, "I'd like that."