Chapter 31

Goldenstreak shivered and opened her eyes. A shiver-sending breeze flew through the air. Goldenstreak nudged her kits closer to the curve of her belly. They mewed softly. It had been a quarter moon since the warrior ceremony and Lead Bare was starting. Goldenstreak knew she had to keep her kits warm, especially since it seemed to be a colder Leaf Bare then usual.

Rustling sounded at the entrance and Acornfur padded in. She held a few borage leaves in her mouth.

"You'll need these to make sure your milk doesn't go dry. Especially since there won't be much prey left." Goldenstreak nodded and ate the bitter tasting herbs. Acornfur left. Another chilling breeze blew in. Goldenstreak shivered. Brightkit mewed as the breeze ruffled her fur. Goldenstreak slowly stood up. Her kits mewed and blinked.

"Stay here." She commanded. Then Goldenstreak left the nursery. It was even colder outside, so cold it took her breath away. This worried Goldenstreak, the last think they needed was an early Leaf Bare. Goldenstreak padded over to Emberspirit.

"Can some cat patch up the holes in the nursery wall, it's chilly in there. Emberspirit nodded.

"Thanks." Goldenstreak said. Then she padded back to the nursery. Brightkit, Pinekit, and Amberkit were meowing and cuddled together. Goldenstreak quickly lied down next to them. They still mewed and Goldenstreak realized they were hungry. Goldenstreak nudged them to he curve of her belly so they could nurse. She put her head on her paws.

After her kits were full they fell asleep. Goldenstreak licked them to keep them warm. Brightkit woke up and coughed. She coughed again. Goldenstreak got worried. Again she left the nursery. This time she padded to the medicine cat den. Sunshimmer was inside, sorting out herbs. She looked up as Goldenstreak walked towards her.

"Yes?"

"Brightkit has a cough." Sunshimmer immediately got up. She walked with Goldenstreak back to the nursery. Brightkit was still coughing.

"She has Greencough." Sunshimmer announced seriously. Goldenstreak stared at her in horror.

"Really?" She gasped. Sunshimmer nodded.

"Also, Pinekit has fever and Amberkit has chill." Goldenstreak stared at Sunshimmer.

"Are you O.K? You can have any of these."

"I feel fine." Goldenstreak responded. Sunshimmer nodded.

"I'm going to grab some herbs, make sure you keep them warm." With that, Sunshimmer left. Goldenstreak was worried. She couldn't even imagine telling Duskpatch.