Chapter 12

The next day at breakfast, Ciel was still quiet and had a hard time looking at Serena after their little talk last night. Following the stilted meal, Ciel had ensconced himself in his office as a new stack of papers had come for the opening of another factory. 

The Earl wasn't simply the owner of Funtom, he was involved in every step of the process. There wasn't a single product that didn't come through the Phantomhive house first and not a single sweet that Ciel didn't try first. Serena had been shocked to learn that the confections had all come from Sebastian's recipes.

'Although I don't know why I was surprised. That is one demon who knows how to cook. I think I've gained a couple of pounds in just a few days. Definitely have to start watching all the rich food. Although, maybe it's muscle from having to wear these ridiculously heavy dresses. Honestly, the women from this time must be the beginning of professional weight lifters.'

The redhead was bored and curious. She had taken to exploring the mansion's various rooms as a diversion. She had found really nothing that peaked her interest other than the music room. Although, she had a love of music, not being able to play any of the instruments the girl had moved on.

 The billiards room held nothing that caught her attention as she no one to play with and she finally made it back to the mansion's central library. The books were nothing that she hadn't looked through before, but she still pulled a few down and set them on the small table by the window.

There was another that caught her interest on a higher shelf. Stretching to reach, Serena still wasn't tall enough. She stopped to think for a minute and came to one conclusion.

'Well, I guess that's the only option. The shelves are solid wood and look like their set into the wall.'

Pulling up her skirt, she started to scale the first couple of shelves. Her finger was on the book when the shoes of the slick sole that she was forced to wear slipped on the oiled wood. She tried to grab another shelf but slipped from that one too. The girl braced herself expecting to feel the floor when she was caught.

"Honestly, I can't leave you alone at all," Sebastian smirked down at her. "I thought Mei-Rin was the one who foolishly tried to scale things."

"Well, if you didn't put the good stuff on a high shelf, neither of us would do it." She waited. "You can put me down now."

"As you wish."

Serena brushed her skirt and rearranged the dress after her fall. The butler reached past her and easily pulled down the book she had wanted.

"Thank you." She smiled up at him. "So, I'm assuming you didn't come here just to help me get a book."

"No. The young master has a meeting to attend before the ball tonight and we will be departing for London shortly."

"Alright! Something to do." Serena put the book back on a lower shelf with a smile. It faded when she saw the butler still standing there. "I'm not going."

"No, Serena. Master has decided that you will remain here. We will return tomorrow morning."

"I could stay at the London house. He wouldn't even know that I was there." She looked hopefully at Sebastian but the demon didn't say anything.

"Fine. I'll stay here." She huffed and took her book back.

"Thank you." Sebastian smiled and leaned into her. He put a hand against the bookshelf she had backed into to cut off her escape route. "Would I get a kiss from my mate before I leave?"

"Whoa!" She put a hand against his mouth. "That is not going to happen."

"Very well." Serena felt him smirk against her palm and he pulled away. "I thought that we had made progress last night."