Chapter 34

The manor house rose from the ground just as Serena remembered it. Like the townhouse, the landscaping and drive were different, tweaked just a little in the last century, but the building was just the same. Even knowing that Ciel and the others were long dead, she couldn't help the feeling of coming home that filled her as she stared at the house from the bottom of the stairway.

A man dressed in uniform opened the car door and pulled the redhead out of her thoughts. He held out a hand and Serena smiled before taking it to step out of the car. She tried to stop the panic that was almost overwhelming, feeling like the first day of school, when the man slid into the driver's seat and started to drive away.

The feeling disappeared when she looked up at the house again and the two people that stood at the top of the steps. A smiling, blonde woman, who looked to be in her late thirties, held the hand of a little boy that looked so much like a younger Ciel, it was frightening. The white linen pantsuit and diamonds she was wearing practically screamed Lady of the House and she knew that this was the current Countess. As Serena climbed the stairs, she tried to squash the wish that she had worn something nicer than jeans and a tank top.

"Serena Walton?"

The redhead almost tripped on the stairs. "How did you know my name?"

"We've waited a long time for you to show up." The woman smiled and held out her hand. "I'm Malory Cartridge."

Malory pulled the little boy that was hiding behind her leg forward. "And this is Alexander. Say hello, Alex."

The boy kept a tight hold on his mother's hand even as he took a step and bowed. "It is nice to meet you, Miss Walton. I am Alexander Cartridge." As soon as he was done, Alex shot back behind his mother.

Serena giggled and peeked around Malory. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Why don't you come inside? We have much to talk about." The blonde waved Serena ahead of her, through the double doors and into the house.

No one saw the two men on the ridge overlooking the manor. Lucien and Edwin cursed when they tried to step forward but couldn't get any further onto the property. Feeling like they were being watched, both looked around until they saw the man on the roof of the manor. The glare that he shot them made both demons back up a step.

"Well," Lucien put a hand to his throat and swallowed hard. "The Elder knows that we lost her now."

*********************A Demon's Mate********************

Ciel looked to the door as a creak came from the hallway. Moving as quietly as possible, the Earl went to his desk and pulled his gun from the drawer. He made sure that it was loaded before going to the door and turning the knob slowly. He kept the solid wood in front of himself as he opened the door. Cursing softly, he realized that the light from the fire spilled into the hallway and alerted anyone out there that there was someone in the office.

"Ciel?"

"Aunt?" He slid the gun into his pocket and let out the breath that he had been holding. "What are you doing?"

"Why are you still in the office at this time of night?"

Ciel instantly poked up at her tone. "Why are you wandering around the manor at this hour?"

"My lord, Lady Francis? Is there something wrong?" Tanaka appeared at the end of the hallway with a single candle.

Frances looked away before answering. "I couldn't sleep."

"Seems to be a theme around here." Ciel opened the door wider and went back to his chair. His aunt followed as he knew that she would. Tanaka paused in the doorway.