Chapter 26

Virgil's POV

With a pulse from my hand, the wooden door shattered.  I panted from my powers the use of my powers on top of the running.

"Took ya' long enough."

I shot a glare at my brother, not bothering to acknowledge how much he looked like shit.  "I didn't have to come to save you.  Hell, I could just fuckin' leave you right now-"

"No, no, no.  Please, Virge."

I waved my hand and turned my back, walking toward the door.  "Roman," I called, "we're getting out of here.  Jay doesn't want to be saved."

Roman grabbed my shoulder and turned me around, nudging me back through the doorway.

Janus eyes widened at my company.  "You."

I rolled my eyes.  "Yeah, yeah. He visited you in prison.  He knows all of our secrets.  He's going to rescue both of us, so can we just stop with the shocking reveals for a minute?"  I nodded my head for Roman to let him down.

He stalked over and reached up, breaking the chains suspending Janus.

"Oh, I love a strong man," he said once his feet thudded to the ground.

I growled, "Paws off."

My brother smiled, and I was amazed he still knew how.  "Where's my knight in shining armor?"

I crossed my arms.  "Too bad; you're stuck with us.  Let's go home, yeah?"

"Do you know the way out?"

Roman looked at me.  "Can't you teleport us out?"

"That's not a good idea," Janus and I said at the same time.

I paused, trying to think of how to explain this.  "I don't know where I am, so I don't know how to get where I need to go.  It's like telling a lost person to simply get there.  Oh, also, since I can't control my powers, the likelihood of our atoms getting jumbled and all of us dying is extremely high."

Jay walked up to me, furrowing his brows.  "You can't control it anymore?" he asked sincerely.

"It's fine.  I'm working on it."

"Shit," Roman cursed, drawing our attention.  "Patton's probably placed an anonymous tip with the police and-"

"And you can't go outside dressed like that without revealing who you are and getting arrested.  Where's your mask?"

"I took it off when I found you.  I'll go grab it and be right back."

"No, I got it," I said.  "If I'm not back in a few minutes, I probably can't reassemble my atoms. Don't worry about it."  I closed my eyes, and it took me a few seconds, but I retraced our steps.  Picturing the room I'd been in, I felt my body dissolve.  When my eyes opened again, I was surrounded by bodies.  I found the familiar piece of fabric and stuffed it in my pocket.

A figure appeared in the doorway.  "Well, well, well."

I turned.  "Isaac..."

"You've made quite the mess in here, haven't you?  How did you get down?" he asked.

"You see, I'd love to stay and chat, but I have somewhere to be."

Isaac smiled.  "You think I'm just gonna let you go?"  He moved to better block the doorway.

My powers activated, causing a grin to grow on my face.  "I don't need your permission."  Blackness enveloped me.