The Flight

“Calm down, Rafael! You will be alright. I promise you, I won’t let the plane eat you,” I said to my pale faced brother and tried my best to keep a straight face.
“It isn’t funny, Isabelle. I don’t know why I came with you at this trip. I hate air planes! LOS ODIO!” said Rafael just as the plane started moving, “Do you know how many people die due to plane crash in a year? Seriously, how did you convince me to do this?”
Now his eyes were shut tightly and he held his seat arms as tight as possible as if he were holding for his dear life.
“Well......” I started with an evil smirk, “I did trick you into it and also blackmailed you without you realizing it.”
“You’re a cruel person, Isabelle.” He said, “Very evil. Really, really evil.”
He suppressed a scream just as the flight took off. I tried to control my laughter but failed miserably
Rafael still had his hands on the seat but had opened his eyes. He seemed a little relaxed.
Finally we were going to our hometown. We are Mexicans but never saw Mexico because our mother could never face her family after she ran away with her lover who after a few years ran away with another woman and left my pregnant mother alone with a two year old me in New York city. Mom struggled for years but made sure we had everything. But finally depression got the best of her. She died last year and ever since I have been taking care of my little brother. I’m only seventeen so I can’t lawfully take care of my brother but somehow luck struck us. A rich family adopted us and it was because of them we were on this plane to Mexico. But now  was not the time to think about this.
The test of the journey I spent on calming my brother by terrifying him. Don’t judge me! Having a brother as annoying as him anyone would like to take advantage of him at a time like this.
The plane landed and Rafael tried to get out of the plane as soon as  possible nearly forgetting about his backpack which he remembered because of me.
“Stop laughing like a maniac. Others are watching us,” Rafael said frowning,” You’re the adult and I am the teenager. I should be embarrassing you not the other way around."
“ Well I am sure the people behind you were also laughing seeing you run out of the plane like that.”
We came out of the airport and just stood there staring at the sight.