Sasha Roy

Sasha Roy
Grade 12
Dance Program

I followed Carly into the locker room. She'd sat down on a bench and curled up on it, sobbing hysterically.

"Carly."

She looked up, rivulets of tears running down her face. "This is the girls change room!" She said shakily.

"I don't care!" I squatted so that we were eye level. "You purposely got me kicked off the primas? I don't understand. I thought you liked me."

"It was after you told them about my boyfriend," Carly's voice turned to a nasally pitch. "I was so angry, Sasha. So, when Cassie asked if she should remove you, I just snapped."

"What about us?" I asked. I looked down at the floor. "I thought you trusted me. You could have told me."

"You would never have looked at me the same way. Besides once Austin got his claws hooked, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I can't back out. I need this scholarship, Sasha."

I sighed and gazed into Carly's eyes filled with regret and pain. "I don't know what to do," I said.

"I don't either." She burst into a fresh stream of crying.

"But I can't do this." I stood.

"What?"

"I think we need to take a break."

"Sasha—"

"I have a scout from the American Ballet Company coming to my senior class next week," I said firmly. "I have to focus on that. I've had auditions for the past few months and so far, I have no plans after graduation."

"You didn't tell me." Her eyes widened.

"You were stressed. I didn't want to add to that. But I need focus on my future. And I don't see how I can date someone I can't trust."

Carly let out a shuddering sigh. Her shoulders cried as she sobbed more, and I left the locker room.

Jax and Kit waited outside.

"You good?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Forget it."

Jax's small smile faded. "I'm sorry."

Kit looked from Jax to me. "I'm going to check on Carly." She slipped inside the change room.

"What are you going to do?" Jax asked. "We didn't get through to Bianca. But, do you think you can fix this mess with the primas?"

I had no idea what I was going to do. But I couldn't let Carly risk Mindy's health for her scholarship. No matter how important it was to her.

"Something," I said.

"We need to figure out a way to get rid of this creep for good."

Jax and I turned to see Jenna leaning against the lockers across from us.

"We don't need your help."

Jax punched my arm. "Dude, we need all the help we can get."

"I know you're still mad. But we're on the same side. Mindy could get hurt. And I'm tired of Austin bossing the primas around."

I hated to agree with Jenna, but she was right. "Fine."

"I'll start talking to the film students," she said. "My brother was one before he graduated last year. I know some of his friends. Maybe they can help us get Austin in trouble."

"I didn't know your brother went here," Jax said.

"How do you guys know each other?" I asked.

"We used to date."

"Jenna dumped me."

They shared an awkward glance.

A few minutes later, Kit and Jax left, leaving me alone with Jenna.

I walked to the other side of the hallway. "Why are you helping us?"

"I don't know," she said. "Maybe because Austin's a creep and a bully? Not to mention, he's putting dance students in danger. And I'm sorry."

"I know," I said. "But sometimes sorry isn't enough."

"Then let me prove it," Jenna said.

"Fine," I said. "Prove it to me."

Oh no! Is this the end of Sasharly? Does Jenna want to help, or does she have more tricks up her sleeve? How will Sasha's auditions go?