Kit Dunn

Kit Dunn
Grade 11
Former Keaton Student

"Want to stop by McDonald's?" Jax gave me his goofy grin.

"Jax, it's midnight."

"I'm pretty sure they're open twenty-four hours," he said in all seriousness.

"But I have to be home by one," I explained slowly.

"That's why they call it 'fast food'."

I punched his arm lightly, but snickered all the same.

Jax pulled off the highway and into a McDonald's parking lot. The fluorescent yellow lights reminded me of the light shows at my concerts. They'd always made my teeth hurt. The fact that the helmet had shielded me from them had only added another perk to keeping my identity a secret.

Staring up at the McDonald's lights, I felt the familiar pain crawling up the nerves of my teeth.

"See, we don't even have to go in," Jax interrupted my thoughts.

He pulled the car into the drive-through lane.

A woman's voice came through the speaker, muffled and garbled by the mediocre equipment purchased by big companies whose only concern was saving money.

"Two Big Macs, two large fries, two cokes," he ordered.

"Good thing we can sleep in tomorrow," I murmured.

"What that?" Jax smiled again. He turned back to the speaker. "My girlfriend said add two hot fudge sundaes."

"Jax!"

I wasn't able to make out the woman's response, but Jax heard her clearly enough.

We pulled around the window and paid.

"How are you supposed to eat and drive?" I asked after the food was safely nestled in my lap.

Jax parked the car in one of the yellow parking spots, painted to match the sign. "Right here. Now, give me my food."

He snatched the bag from me and then laughed.

"If you even touch my fries," I threatened.

I glanced at the clock after we'd eaten. "Twelve forty-one," I said. "We should go. I have to get home."

"My very own Cinderella. How did I get so lucky with you?"

"I don't know," I smirked.

Jax mocked offense. "How rude!" His expression suddenly became serious. "Kit, I was wondering if I could ask you something?"

"You just did," I pointed out.

"I'm being serious."

"Okay."

"Miles wants DJ Diamondmind to produce a track on his album."

"What did you say?" I panicked. "Did you tell him?"

"I told him I'd ask you. Everyone still thinks you were his assistant. No one but Bianca and I know that you're DJ Diamondmind."

"Was. I'm retired."

"Don't you miss Keaton?"

His question struck me like a knife. "Yeah, but I want to be a normal girl. I've always done something to do with music. I just need a break."

"So, tell Miles no?"

"Yeah. Tell him no."

"I miss you," Jax said. He pulled out of the parking lot and headed back to the freeway.

"We see each other all the time."

"I miss making music with you." Jax shot me his sad puppy dog eyes.

I sat back against the seat uncomfortably and looked away. It had been such a great Valentine's Day. The concert had been amazing. But now? Why couldn't Jax let this go?

"I'm sorry. I know you need a break. I just hate change."

I felt a smile creep up on my face. "I know."

We finally arrived at my house.

"Thanks Prince Charming," I teased.

I leaned over and kissed Jax on the nose. It turned red, along with his cheeks and neck. Then I hurried inside before the clock struck one.

Short, but sweet. I think I liked writing this even more than the last chapter. Comment who you think the next chapter will be about.