Chapter Fourteen: Boundaries

Charlotte

(Present Day)

Leaning back against the door, I think I can hear Ollie breathing. It's either that or it's my heart beating so fast in my chest that's ringing in my ears. He's wrong about me being happier. He didn't see the ring missing from my finger because I seldom ever wore it. Every time I put it on it felt like a lie and so I avoided it as much as possible.

It's not that I didn't love Jared—I do, I still do, but it wasn't enough. He didn't make my chest ache like the guy pressed up against my front door right now. The one admitting for once in his life that he made a mistake.

I take a deep breath before turning around and pulling the door back open. Ollie lifts his head and stands up straighter. Instead of his usual smirk, his expression remains serious.

"I mean it, Charlie. I missed you every day since you left. I went looking for you and when I found you, I found you with him—that guy from your Instagram."

My eyes narrow, easily slipping out of sympathy mode. "You stalked me on social media?"

He shrugs, giving half a smile. "Of course, darlin'. How else was I going to see your beautiful face?"

Even though I don't want it to, my stomach flips at his words. I think it's the way he looks at me. It's always equal parts possessive and lust no matter what the situation. It's like an electricity between us that never really goes away. In a lot of ways, I think it got stronger. The urge to kiss him, to run my fingers through his hair, is almost unbearable. I'm used to touching him any time I want and it's weird not to be able to.

I push those thoughts aside and lean along the door. "Jared and I broke up."

He nods like he already knew that. I'm sure he could have probably pieced it together from his internet research, but Ollie's not always the most observant person. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know.

"Any particular reason?"

Because he's not you. "It just, didn't work out. Not the right time."

Ollie remains quiet, shuffling around on his feet. It's a nervous habit he doesn't usually possess. Oliver Monroe isn't afraid of anything. He's a champion. Champions never feel loss because they always win, right?

His chest rises and falls heavily. "I miss you."

"Ollie—"

He steps forward and grabs my face, cutting me off. "I'm allowed to feel that way, Charlie. I won't let you pretend that I don't." He takes a breath, his lips inches from mine. "—and it's okay if you're mad at me. I'm mad at me, too."

I put my hand on his chest and push him back a little. His hair is sticking up more than usual and he's wearing a faded Central track T-shirt that I'm almost positive is from high school. He's different, but in a lot of ways exactly the same. That's not what gets me the most though. It's the ache in his voice that stabs me in the heart.

Placing my hands on his waist, I give him a shake to get him to look at me. "Hey." I wait for his eyes to meet mine, until I continue. "You don't carry all the blame. I made a choice, too."

I expect him to argue with me, but instead he wraps his arms around me and pulls me against his chest. He hugs me hard and I relax my shoulders and melt right into him. It's comforting to be in his arms. He feels like home to me.