Chapter Twenty-Nine: Ghostin'

Charlotte

(Present Day)

When I think back on all the reasons I've loved Ollie, I tend to forget all the reasons I shouldn't have.  It was easy to forgive the bad parts of him because the good parts were so much better.

            I know he never had bad intentions.  His heart is the part I love the most.  He cares too much what people think about him and not enough about himself.  That probably sounds crazy considering how cocky he is, but most of it is to compensate for his actual lack of confidence.  It doesn't always show through, but every time is has he's been with me.

            That's why I needed to tell him the truth.  I didn't think it would be fair not to be honest when he was bearing his soul to me in my driveway.  Yes, he waited five years too long and—yes, he was wasted, but I know he means it. There's also the fact that he's texted me every morning since to remind me that he does.

            And on his lunch break.

            And when he gets home.

            And basically every free moment he gets throughout the day.  Or every time he eats.  I haven't exactly figured out his pattern yet, but it's a lot.

            So I've taken the most logic next step. I've tried to distance myself from him this whole week even though I can tell it bothers him.  It's only been a month since I've been back and I already don't want to leave him.  The more I see him, the harder it will be and I'm still uncertain what to do next. Just because I love him doesn't mean that I think we can actually be together.  I still have reasons I don't want him to know.

            That's why I'm completely on edge as I get dressed to go to the studio.  One thing that dancing does is it gives me a sense of calm.  I'm able to forget about all the uncertainties in my life and focus on something that I love.

            I have one hand on the door when my phone rings from inside my purse.  Not a lot of people call me instead of text so it gets my attention.  I set my bag down on the side table and search through my purse.  My stomach drops when I see the name on the display.

            Blowing out a long breath, I swipe the screen to answer the call.  "Hey."

            "Hey, yourself," a deep, familiar voice says in return.  "I haven't been able to reach you.  Sorry if you're busy."

            "No, it's okay.  I have been busy, but I should have answered your messages."

            There's a pause and then Jared sighs.  I brace myself for what he's going to say next.  I can't take another proclamation of interest from an ex.

            "The townhouse sold last week.  I need your keys."

            Oh.  Not what I was expecting.  Maybe being around Oliver so much is making me arrogant by association.

            "That's good," I say with added enthusiasm.  "I can drop them at the post office this afternoon."

            "You're not in New York?" I don't get a chance to answer before he fires his next question.  "Are you still in West Virginia?  That was almost a month ago."

            Immediately I get defensive.  "That's none of your business."

            Jared laughs once.  "Fine, Charlotte.  I didn't call to fight with you.  I just wanted to let you know that the house sold and now there's nothing left to hold you here."