Chapter Forty-Two: If I Never See Your Face Again

Charlotte

(5 years earlier)

I've been sitting on my front porch for what feels like hours. It hasn't really been that long, but I'm already wishing I didn't give Ollie his jacket back.

But I know it would have only made me cry harder. His scent still lingers on my sweater everywhere it touched. I hate that he always smells so good. I hate that the way he makes me feel overpowers every time he hurt me. I hate that I could never stay mad at him even though I should have. And most of all, I hate that I love him so much.

Those words have been on my lips so many times I've lost count. I was afraid to tell him. I was afraid to complicate what we have with words I knew would terrify him. I knew it would be the end of us-and I was right.

My hand drifts to my stomach, still flat and obscured. It's quite possible I could make it to the end of the school year without anyone finding out. I wouldn't even have to tell Ollie. Not that he would care anyway. If he doesn't love me, how could he love the baby growing inside of me?

That's not what hurts the most. It's the fact that I wasn't even an option. He never considered what it would be like to have a relationship outside of high school. I was a pit stop on his way to greatness and a teen pregnancy scandal would only hold him back.

Maybe he wouldn't leave if knew. He might say he loves me and wants to care of us, but it wouldn't feel right. It wouldn't be because he actually wanted to. We would be an obligation. Something he never wanted but was forced to 'deal' with.

I think we deserve better.

I'm about to drag myself inside where it's warm when headlights flash in my driveway. A flicker of hope ignites inside of me and I curse myself for hoping he changed his mind. But I do. I want more than anything for him to come back and say he didn't mean it.

I don't get my wish. The silver truck belongs to someone else and I quickly wipe my eyes as Liam makes his way up my sidewalk. It's probably for nothing. I've been crying so long my eyes are no doubt puffy and red. The telltale sign of heartbreak everyone probably saw coming.

His face falls and he quickens his pace toward me. "Charlie." He says my name in whisper and sits down beside me on the porch swing. "What happened? I heard a bunch of guys talking at Jimmy's and I had to see if you were okay."

I laugh bitterly, not meeting his eyes. "Why? Did Ollie go back to the party?"

When he doesn't answer, I look over at him. It's a mistake because I hate the way he's looking back at me. He feels sorry for me. For me. The heartless asshole who ripped his heart out and expected never to suffer because of it.

After another pause, he shakes his head. "No, he didn't."

I sniff and wipe my nose on the sleeve of my sweater. "Then what were they saying?"

"That you guys were fighting. I wanted to make sure you were okay. You always come to Jimmy's."

I laugh again and he looks at me like I'm crazy. Crazy people laugh when they're slowing losing their mind.

"Things change I guess."

I risk a glance back to him and anger flashes in his eyes. He leans forward and rubs his hand on his jaw. "I fucking knew this would happen."

"What?"

He throws his hand out. "That he would fucking hurt you. I knew that once you got together he would be done. The chase would be over and he'd leave you like all the others."