Chapter Thirty-Seven: Anger Management

Oliver

(Present Day)

It's still dark outside when I open my eyes. Charlie is tucked in my arms, her head resting in the crook of my neck. My arms tense around her, keeping her close to me when she stirs slightly.

Her eyes flutter open. "Good morning."

My chest tightens at the sweet sound of her voice. She isn't angry in this moment and as much as I still want to be upset with her—I can't. She loved a version of me that didn't deserve it. I need to prove to her that I've changed, that I'm capable of being the type of man that she can spend her life with.  Acting like an asshole and being petty isn't going to accomplish that.

I press my lips to her temple and then rest my cheek on the side of her head. "Good morning."

She squeezes my wrist. "I need to get up."

I shake my head, wrapping my leg around hers. "Not yet. Give me a few more minutes."

Charlie gently places her hand on my face, rubbing her thumb across the stubble on my jawline. "I'll be right back. I promise."

I close my eyes when she kisses my cheek. She's not leaving. I didn't say anything terrible last night to make her want to leave and it surprises me.

Reluctantly, I release my hold of her and sit up on the couch. I run my hand through my hair and take a breath as she stands and stretches.

She lets out a yawn. "I didn't plan on staying, but Elliot really needed someone to talk to." She pauses, biting her lip. "I guess I did too."

"I still want to talk," I say quickly. "There's a lot of things I need to say."

Her eyes drift away from me for a moment and then she nods. "Yeah, I'd like that."

I push up from the couch, walking over to her and kissing the side of her head once more. "I'll make coffee. Go do what you need to do."

I shoot her a wink and she smiles before disappearing down the hallway toward the bathroom. A grin spreads across my face as I head into the kitchen and try to figure out the coffee maker Elliot got our mother for her birthday. That thought brings the warm and fuzzy blood rushing through me to a cold stop.

Gripping the countertop, I narrow my eyes on Judah's truck still parked behind mine.

"Mother fuck," I growl.

I take a calming breath through my nose before stalking toward the stairs. It would set a bad example if I'm the one who hits him. My blood pressure rises immediately as I'm about to intercept Judah at the threshold. He gives a sheepish smile while sporting some seriously messed up hair.

"What the fuck, man?" I give him a shove to the chest and his smile fades.

He holds his hands up, stumbling back a step. "Ollie, I swear we just talked. I fell asleep."

I clench my jaw. "I don't fucking believe you. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen."

Judah pulls his hand into his chest. "I have a girlfriend. Elliot and I are still friends, she's really upset and I was trying to help. I don't like when she's sad."

I lean into him slightly. "Don't you think it would be more appropriate to have conversations outside of her bedroom?"

"Dude, I know."