Chapter Forty-One: Adulting Is Hard

Oliver

(Present Day)

Young Ollie would be freaking the fuck out right now.

            He would have demanded to know what they were talking about and accused Charlie of lying and misleading him.  He would have taken everything personally as if he were the only one that mattered.  His feelings would have taken precedence over hers and he would have said a bunch of shit he didn't really mean.

            Good thing young Ollie isn't in charge anymore.  Maybe I didn't grow up a whole lot, but what I did learn makes a big difference.  The details aren't clear, but I get the point—she had to stay.      

            Charlie didn't stay because she wanted to be around me.  Even though it should offend me, it has the opposite effect.  I feel lucky.

            I got a second chance to make things right and it doesn't really matter how it happened.  It's happening now and she finally knows how much I love her.  The fact that she loves me too is just bonus.  I'll never feel deserving of her love for me and that's why I have to make sure she knows it's forever.

            My hands are shaking while I sit in my truck.  I've been staring vacantly at the lodge for about twenty minutes.  This is a conversation I've had with my parents before.  I'm not sure they believed me a hundred percent last time, but they were supportive regardless.

            A tap on my driver's side window makes me flinch and I turn my eyes toward an amused Elliot.  Her laugh is muffled until I lower the window. 

            I give her an irritated look.  "Jesus, Elliot.  You like to sneak up on people?  You scared the fuck out of me."

            She continues to grin.  "You've been sitting here for almost half an hour."  She nods to the large window at the front of the lodge.  "I've been watching you."

            "What are you doing here?"

            "Helping mom get ready for the event tonight.  Some wedding."

            My chest squeezes tighter.  It's weird to have a such a strong reaction to something you never thought you wanted.

            Elliot eyes me carefully, always able to sense a strange current in my mood.  "What are you doing here?  Dad said your meeting isn't until this afternoon."

            I nod, taking another shallow breath.  "Yeah, I need to talk to mom first."

            "Well, come help us move the rest of these tables.  We're two people short today."

            She steps back as I open the door of my truck and get out.  I blow out a breath and turn back to hit the fob to lock it and she laughs.

            "What?"

            "You're acting totally weird."  She gives me a shove.  "Tell me, Ollie."

            I start walking toward the sidewalk to the lodge and she follows in step beside me.  "I'm going to do something."

            "Which is?"

            I pause for a beat and then resume my brisk pace.  "I'm not ready to talk about it yet."

            She doesn't push further and we enter the lodge and walk down to the main conference hall.  It's already decked out in gold and rich greens, lights twinkling from every corner of the room.  I follow instructions from Elliot in silence as she has me move almost every table in the room.