CHAPTER 3

Evelyn felt much better after the hot shower. The water had soothed her heart and relieved her of the stress and insecurities. She decided to make the best out of this so called marriage and get her life together and on track. The bathroom was as beautiful as the bedroom. This guy must be fucking rich to afford a place like this, she thought. A sleeveless black dress laid neatly on the bed when she got to the room, together with new underwear and her purse which she had forgotten all about. She got dressed and put on some makeup. Evelyn wasn't much of a fan of make-up but her eyes were sunken and she looked horrible. Plus, this was a meeting with her in-laws. First impressions count a lot. She fixed her hair up in a neat bun and curled a few strands of the hair to form ringlets that coiled around her face. She looked beautiful but something was missing. She looked in the mirror at her reflection. Yesterday, she had been left at the altar by one man and been united with another she knew nothing about him except his name and that his family was rich and classy and they would be disappointed with the new addition to the family.

She sighed and stood. She turned to find her new husband stand in the doorway watching her.

"You look beautiful. The dress suits you perfectly. You're missing something though." He walked towards her and opened a jewellery box, revealing a set of earrings and necklace. He took the necklace. "May I?"

Stunned, she turned and allowed him put on the necklace around her long neck. It was beautiful with sapphire stones shaped like dewdrops. The matching earrings were shaped in the same manner. Evelyn was speechless.

"Thank you" she managed to stutter.

"Don't mention it. It's the least I could do for agreeing to this." He said, admiring how wonderful she looked. He indeed made a good choice. "Wear the earrings and prepare yourself mentally. My parents will be here any minute. Don't be intimidated by them, especially my mother. And please, make them believe we married for love. They might doubt our union." He added before leaving the room.

Evelyn sighed and put on the earrings. Was any of this really happening? Or was it a dream? She tried to come up with a nice story about how they met. His parents would definitely ask how they met. She put on her black, glittering heels and admired herself in the mirror. This marriage wasn't what she had expected but it was far from what she had ever dreamed.

There was a knock on the door before it opened and Will entered. He looked extremely handsome in the black tuxedo he wore. His hair was neatly combed.

"They are here. Are you ready?" he asked.

She nodded her head in response and took his hand. He led the way down the stairs where a couple, apparently his parents, stood waiting. The woman could be in her late forties or early fifties but she looked quite younger and very beautiful whilst the handsome man she stood by looked to be in his mid-fifties. He had the same face as William. Their aura spoke elegance, class and wealth. They smiled when they saw them and walked towards them.

"Mother, father, how are you doing?" William greeted them with a smile.

His mother spoke first, "we are good, honey. You?"

"I'm doing fine. I would like to introduce you to my wife, Evelyn. Evelyn, these are my parents." He introduced.

The man and woman shared a look and then laughed.

"Wow, that desperate to keep your ties with the family." His mother said.

Evelyn felt uncomfortable but managed a smile.

"Not exactly, mom. Evelyn and I have known each other for quite some time now and we were serious but we weren't planning on marrying any time soon till your threat. You only hurried the marriage."