CHAPTER 4

Exasperated, she looked at the many wrapped packages her friends and family had been so kind to gift her on her wedding. A wedding that never happened. Well, she was married but it was a sham. She sighed and decided to shower before planning her next move.

The heat seeped into her pores and caressed her skin. The sweet lilac and rosy perfume of her bath beads filled her nostrils. She hardly took her time to draw herself baths like this and today she decided she deserved it after what she had gone through. Her mind wandered back to his handsome face. His sensual lips were very appealing and his golden eyes twinkled whenever he smiled she had noticed. Unconsciously, Evelyn's eyes wandered to her fingers and she sighed with relief when she realised both were bare, without any sign to show her unfortunate situation. She sighed then got up and wrapped herself in a towel before stepping out of the bath.

Will sat with his best friend and legal adviser, Ted Robinson, in his house.

"So, what are you going to do now?" Ted asked.

"I have no fucking idea. I'm confused, to be honest. I have no intentions of being married but I also don't want to play the role of a heartless jerk. I can't just keep her around because I need her. I'll just be confirming her theories about men." William took a sip of his whiskey.

"I think it's easy. She doesn't like you and doesn't want anything. You guys could just live your separate lives and then sell the married couple story to your folks, and whoever cares, when you need to. You don't necessarily need to live the life of a married man."

Will thought about it for a while and his friend was right. After all, Evelyn had made it clear that men were closed out of her life.

"I guess you are right. I could do just that."

After listening to the last voicemail from her landline, she took her cell and called her mother. She had to call her before she went to file a missing person's report with the police. The call was answered on the third ring.

"Eve!!!" her mother practically shouted into the receiver making Evelyn pull the phone away from her ear.

"Mom."

"Eve darling, how are you doing? I'm so sorry about what happened. Where did you go? I thought you would want some privacy but well, I got too worried. How are you?" her mother ranted.

"I'm fine. I just need your help. Can I move in with you? I don't want to keep living here. It reminds me of him."

"Sure, darling. But what about your job?"

Evelyn sighed.

"I'll quit. When I come I'm sure I'll find another job."

"Alright. When are you coming?"

"Ermm, I should have managed to sell the furniture and other stuff and settle things with the landlady by Friday."

"Okay. I will expect you then..." her mom stifled a yawn, "Got to get some rest now. You kept me so worried couldn't get any sleep last night."

"Sure mom. Goodnight."

"Goodnight. I love you."

Evelyn ended the call and sighed. She looked around the apartment, trying to figure out what stuff she was going to part with. She was definitely going to get rid of the couch and the television set. Max had helped her buy those. Her thoughts wandered back to her so-called husband. She had to tell him she was leaving town.

Friday came by in a swift second and all Evelyn had left to do was start the engine of her Toyota Prius and leave the horrid life she had ended up with in New Jersey. She had moved here after she graduated college and was offered an actual job at McRae's Publications where she interned during her last two years in college. Now she was leaving it all behind to start afresh. She sighed after taking a last glance at her apartment. The landlady had been kind to give her back three months' worth of rent as she had paid in advance. She turned the key in the ignition and the engine purred. She drove along the all too familiar road; past her favourite convenient store and her favourite pizzeria.

She said her last goodbye as she exit the boundaries of NJ.

Sorry guys for the late update. School has started and it's soooooo stressful hardly have time for myself but I promise i would try to update at a more consistent pace and schedule.  Thank You for understanding. 

What are your thoughts on her leaving the city? Keep your comments coming and please don't forget to share and vote on the story.