Chapter 4

Somewhere between Solodono and the Orange Grove

Oriko reached down and touched the dirt, rubbing it between her fingers and sifting through to the dried blood underneath, the texture, the smell, it told her everything about the conflict, everything but what she wanted to know. Stepping over the bodies of the dead chupacabras, she walked to the other side of the battlefield and stared out into the expanse in front of her before closing her eyes.

"How are your senses sister?" she wondered, clutching a large serrated spear in one hand while a bow and quiver of arrows rested on her back.

"Um, Me?" Bianca wondered, raising her hand.

"No," Laurie scoffed, "And, I'm sorry but, I really can't tell, this is a little too far outside of my territory."

"So?" the harpy shrugged, "Plant another tree."

"She has a point," Oriko agreed, gesturing around to all of the bodies, "There's certainly plenty of fertilizer."

"Okay, couple of problems with that, but, mainly, if this area has been claimed by any sort of deity, this is essentially like stepping on their toes and hoping they don't notice."

"Do it!" the Gorgon commanded, "Or, would you prefer that he remain lost?"

"Ugh!" Laurie grumbled, reaching into her chest and pulling out a seed, "Friggin' twist my arm why don't ya."

While she was busy planting the new tree, Bianca slid from around her to approach Oriko.

"Hey, um, not for nothing," the Harpy nervously scratched the back of her neck, "But... are sure this is a good idea?"

"Do you happen to have something better?"

"Um... honestly no, but, this is the chick who just whipped your ass like a rented mule," the look in her companion's eyes almost made Bianca bite her tongue, "Y-yeah, uh, I, I-I'm, I'm sorry."

"Good," Oriko turned away.

"Well, but the thing is, the only real difference here is that you're armed and..."

"Fear is not something to be ashamed of," the Gorgon advised without looking towards Bianca, "In fact, it our understanding of fear that drives us forward, and keeps us safe."

"That's, um, that's not exactly what I..."

"If you're scared," Oriko shouted, interrupting, "Then find it within yourself to go back home and make certain that Abacus does not truly eat us out of house and home."

"Right, great," Bianca slowly backed away, shaking her head, "Good strategy meeting."