Chapter 6

Part and Parcel scrap yard

Laurie crouched on the ground outside of the shack, holding Abacus in her arms as she listened to its sad, whimpering little chirps while they got weaker, and weaker. Though sympathetic, Bianca had chosen to allow her friend a moment of privacy, the specter which haunted the shack however, was not so considerate, and flew outside the instant she knew that the pair were alone.

"He's dying," Medea's hand landed on her shoulder and her eyes immediately narrowed, "Isn't he."

"I will cut your damn fingers off," Laurie snarled.

"I'm still a ghost you know."

"I'll get creative!" she snapped in return, jerking her shoulder away and cradling Abacus in her arms as she carried him into the house.

"He doesn't have to die you know," Medea called out.

"Oh, I suppose you could do something about it?" Laurie glared back at her before angrily wiping a tear away, "Oh, wait, what am I saying, that would actually have to involve you doing something! Seriously, what the Hell is wrong with you? We've been friends, or, at least companions for years and I don't even know...I mean, do we even rate to you? Do you even care?"

"Of course I do," Medea grinned back, "I care for you the same way that a soldier cares for a polished blade, how a potter cares for high-end clay."

"You realize that those are two completely different analogies?"

"I'm doing this for him as well."

"Who? Abacus?"

"No," Medea shook her head, "Your sweet little Ichabod."

"I'm not having this conversation..."

"You've had as many brushes with death as the rest of us Laurie, you know that we can't keep this up forever, eventually luck will fail, and who will look after him when you are gone? Care for him? Love him?"

"Apparently he's going to nail a Goddess so..."

"We both know that'll never happen, he's not like Victor, our old master felt he was owed the world and cared very little for the broken hearts left in his wake, but, our little prince, he is the broken heart," Medea scoffed and Laurie bowed her head unwilling to admit her agreement, "He will need someone to look after him, before he could ever be healed, a guardian, or," she reached down, running a hand over Abacus' still faintly twitching head, "A child maybe?"

"Stop," Laurie closed her eyes against the tears that were filling them.

"It's not your fault, but you know you're going to fail him eventually, especially if he winds up in a clash with Ishmara, either he dies or you will, but, I know a trick to keep this little one alive, a little careful planning, and it can be there when you're not, fight when you can't, love when you are all but gone."