Chapter 3 | Dolores Park | Part 3

Nora shook her head.

"Peter and Cole had a thirteen year age gap, right?" Theo said. "So, it's not that weird. Cole being a grandpa, I mean."

"Even better—because they're half-brothers, it's like they were less related, so we're less related." Rainey pointed at them. "You two could totally date."

Nora simply glared, which, Rainey surmised by the grin he was trying to stifle, Theo Furlan found adorable. He shook his head.

"What kind of lens are you using?" Theo the Sibling Whisperer asked.

And they were off, chatting amiably about cameras, lighting, studio work versus indoor work. Nora was grateful to Theo for engaging Rainey so well, and she was happy that Rainey was being relatively serious instead of her usual drama queen self.

It wasn't that Nora didn't like her sister's personality. Far from it. Truth be told, she wished she herself could be more free-spirited like Rainey, take life a little less seriously. She admired her sister's liveliness and passion. She even envied her a little. But it was Rainey's utter lack of awareness about the world around her and a tendency to think of herself first (and assume everyone who loved her did as well) that worried Nora. Perhaps, as they grew up, Nora had taken her role of big sister a little too seriously, particularly after their father died and it was clear their mother was not going to be able to manage at her full yet already dubious capacities. If the apple didn't fall far from the tree, then Rainey didn't fall far from Margaret Ko and her own rose-colored ways of seeing the world and living in it. Nora was more like their father—practical with a level head on her shoulders. Unfortunately, after he died, she'd been outnumbered, especially since Uncle Cole, who stepped up in his younger brother's place in many ways, tended towards a more laid-back lifestyle.

"So, are those your models?" Theo gestured to the women Rainey had been photographing.

"No. I just think they look pretty. Their outfits are so cool, don't you think?"

"I defer to your better judgment."

"You should. You know, I'm going to have my own line someday."

"Line?"

"Fashion line. Duh, genius."

"Awesome."

"I think so." Rainey polished her camera lens with a special soft cloth. She glanced over at Theo as she did. "And you know, I guess I'll be moving to New York sooner than planned."

"What do you mean?" Nora asked, slightly alarmed. Rainey had not mentioned moving to New York in a long time. Could Uncle Cole's death be the reason she wanted to leave? "I thought you were entering that contest here?"

Rainey didn't answer her. Instead, she continued addressing Theo.

"Tell me something, cousin."

"Shoot," Theo said.

"What does it feel like to have such incredible power?"

Theo smiled and frowned at the same time. "What power?"

"You know. To kick people out of the home they've lived in practically all of their lives?"

"Rainey!" Nora's fists automatically clenched by her sides.

"To take away their place of business?" Rainey continued. "Does it make you feel like you have a dick the size of a donkey? Does it, cuz?"

"Rainey, that's too much." Nora turned to Theo, horrified. "I am so sorry. I don't know what she's thinking. Sometimes she says the stupidest things."