Chapter 22

Nessie was already breaking her promise to her mom that she wouldn’t speed.  She knew there was a stretch of road that went from the reservation into Forks, that was lined with trees and they had traveled on it many times to pick up parts.  She knew where the store was and was certain she could find him.

She had to find him.

Renesmee gripped the steering wheel, her eyes scanning everywhere.  She was getting close to where she imagined he might be.  “Dammit!” she exclaimed when she didn’t see him right away.

It was raining again.  She flipped on her wipers and struggled to make out anything on the side of the road that might indicate an accident had happened there.  Alice’s words kept echoing in her head. Jacob’s body.

“No...no...not my Jacob.  I will find him,” she repeated over and over.  She said it louder each time and willed herself not to give up.

The rain continued to pick up and Renesmee shook her head.  It was so hard to see now.  But she was nearly to the end of the stretch of road and she hadn’t found him yet.  Checking for traffic, she made a sudden u-turn, now traveling on the same side of the road that he would have taken to come into town.

She thought about his text and how he promised to come see her if he had time.  Oh how she wished he was there now, leaning against his motorcycle in the parking lot, smiling when he saw her approaching.  She cringed when she remembered that she hadn’t even told him she loved him in their last text.  She was determined to make sure it wouldn’t be the last time he ever texted her.

Renesmee continued to scan the tree line in hopes she could locate him.  He needs me, she thought, blinking back tears.  A large bolt of lightning flashed in the drizzling sky and for a split second, everything was bright.   That’s when she finally saw something.

Something shiny glinted in the distance.  She slammed on her brakes, nearly skidding off the gravel road.  The light was gone now, but she kept her eyes trained where she had seen it.  She pulled the car over to the side as much as possible and turned on her hazards.

As soon as the car stopped, she was off like a flash, hoping to catch another glimpse as she raced for the treeline.  Another crack of lightning and a rumble of thunder.  He was straight ahead of her, she could barely make out the twisted wreckage, but she knew he was there.

She pushed herself to run faster, but it felt like one of those dreams where you’re scared and you need to run quickly but nothing happens.  She wanted to call out to him, but she had no voice.

Renesmee nearly collapsed when she found him.  “Jacob…” she gasped.

He was buried under the wreckage of what was once his motorcycle.  The full weight of it, crushing his chest.  Then she saw why.  Jacob had slid into a dead tree.  The impact and the wet ground had caused it to come loose and topple over him and the bike.

She couldn’t comprehend why he hadn’t been able to escape this.  His strength was immeasurable at times.  She knelt down and cradled his face in her hands.  She used her own body to shield him from the rain that was pelting them both. 

Renesmee lowered her ear to his mouth, listening and silently praying for a sign he was still breathing.  His eyes were closed and he had a large gaping head wound above his left eyebrow.  The blood was flowing freely, trickling down the side of his face.

He was barely moving any air.  The crushing weight of the tree was keeping him from breathing better.  But he was alive and that was all that mattered.  She reached for her pocket, feeling for her phone that didn’t seem to be there.