91 Miles Together

"and now, forever, I know,"

London.

Joe crouched down behind a pillar, an impressive feat given that the train station was packed to the brim. He got a few strange looks from passers by but Joe was focused on looking for one person. 

Over the last few weeks, himself and his dance partner had grown very close. Their days were filled with endless laughter and he couldn't imagine being partnered with anybody else. They had completed their Jive for week one, watched by his sister and Alfie. Zoe sent him a text later that evening about how much she loved Dianne and how much she had changed him in such a short period of time. Their connection seemed to be unstoppable but he had had to hold himself back slightly. Although she hardly ever mentioned him, Joe knew she had a boyfriend. He would never want to put her reputation in jeopardy by muddying her name with scandal. He had far too much respect for her to do that. 

Spotting her bright red hair whipping from side to side as she looked round for him, Joe took his opportunity and emerged from his hiding place. He walked slowly towards her when she suddenly turned round and saw him.

"Oh damn it!" he exclaimed. "I waited for like five minutes trying to scare you!"

"You failed this time Joseph!" laughed Dianne, her brown orbs sparkling in the early sun. "It's almost like I could sense you creeping up behind me,"

"You're used to it now, you're getting conditioned in this environment around me," joked Joe.

"What does that mean?" said Dianne wheeling her case along. "In fact, it's too early and I probably won't get it,"

"Probably not. Are you hungry?" asked Joe.

"Always!" said Dianne. "Is there a café or something? I am starving,"

They walked over to the café and ate some sandwiches while waiting for the train. Dianne was in front of Joe's camera telling a story about how she lost her sock and her room key all in the space of about ten minutes. Joe was behind the camera with a huge smile on his face as he recalled the memory and chipping in where he could. He marvelled at her ability to laugh at herself and make him laugh in the process. 

//

Wiltshire.

"Joe I don't think I can do it," said Dianne, looking at the height of the ladder. The rationality in her knew that it was secure and there would be no way anyone would let her get hurt. The irrationality in her, which was manifesting at a much stronger rate in her mind, pictured herself positioned at a precarious angle and falling to her death. Well, she thought with a smile, maybe Joe would catch me. She pushed the thought away and repressed the feeling in her stomach that arrived at the thought of Joe protecting her.

"I'll be there the whole time Di. It's honestly not as scary as it seems," he said. Joe popped a straw hat on her head before leading her over to the ladder. "I promise I won't let go,"

"Alright," she said grimacing. "I will sue for any damage done to my legs,"

Joe laughed out loud. "I'll pay the compensation myself, and I'll pay for a personal physiotherapist to come nurse you back to health,"

Dianne slowly climbed up a few rungs of the ladder. Her anxiety was through the roof and the only thing keeping her calm was Joe holding the ladder still.

"You're doing great Di, only a few more steps," he said encouragingly.

She looked down and gasped. This was much higher than expected! She began to panic and said "No Joe, I want to get down, I don't like this!"