Dinner for six

Courtney's POV
Shayne stepped into the kitchen "you should go change into that nice dress if we are gonna be all proper" I noticed his big Handsome head. He was wearing a grey jumper over the shirt I had given him which made him seem more casual and comfortable. "Not for a dinner but I would like to wash my face and change into something more comfortable.
"Go on then" he shrugged stepping towards the chopping board.
I returned after 20 ish minutes. I changed into the black dress with floral patterns despite its lack of coverage it let me feel the warmth of the inn.
"A little to comfortable I think" he gritted his teeth.
"It's the only comfortable dress I have at this moment" I laughed noticing the apron he was now wearing. He had rolled up his sleeves and was cutting vegetables. Beside he had also plucked the feathers from a chicken and prepared it for cooking. He put the knife down and pulled the jumper over his head. "Arms up"
"What?"
"You heard me" he said. I raised my arms reluctantly. Next Shayne put the jumper on me and returned to his cooking. "Why-"
"Can't have them thinking my wife is a lady of the town" he laughed
"Well- I. What are you cooking?" I asked rolling the sleeves up.
"Roasted chicken and a vegetable stew with chicken broth" he said slicing tomatoes.
"Can I help?"
"Yer fine" he shrugged
"What do you need help with" I sighed
"Nothing I'm good at this"
"I was taught to cook and sew by my nanny who trained in Paris I think I'm better" I shrugged
"Fine then you makes something fancy for after dinner and we will see" Shayne laughed
I kept peeking over to Shayne's side of the counter as I prepared the desert. I could smell the delicious dish and my mouth began to water;Maybe he could cook.  I sighed and carried on preparing the desert.

An hour or so passed before we were both finished and we had placed both our creations in the table.
"They both smell grand" Colleen rubbed her hands together before sitting herself at the table beside Eoin.
"That they do" he agreed licking his lips
"Im glad you think so" shayne shrugged before serving everyone some of his stew and bread.
I watched as they both sipped the stew and widened their eyes in shock. Shayne sat smugly watching. I quickly took a spoonful. Immediately I was disappointed at the beautiful flavours that swirled around my mouth and surged across my tongue, combing into one smooth melody that was cooked to perfection. "It's okay I suppose" I shrugged to Shayne.
"Thank you" he nodded proudly.
The other couple who were staying in the inn complimented Shayne's dish. They both seemed quite eccentric. They made strange jokes and had an unfamiliar accent.
"So if you wouldn't mind my asking where are you from?" I smiled to the couple
"Just about everywhere" the man chuckled
"Yes we age lived all around the world" the woman smiled less energetically.
"It's my business you see, always moving but we were both born in England" he smiled
"And your names are?"
"Ripley, mr and Mrs ripley" the woman said in a happy tone.
"And what do you do then?" Shayne asked slurping down more stew
"I'm very sorry we shouldn't speak of business at such a formal occasion" I kicked Shayne's leg hard under the table.
"Agh you b- I mean yes sorry about that" he whimpered angrily.
"No no it's fine really" Mr Ripley laughed "it's not a formal occasion just a friendly dinner"
"Here here" Shayne agreed taking a gulp of his drink.
"So how long have you been married?" Mrs Ripley asked Colleen and Eoin.
"44 years I'm sad to say" Colleen giggled
"44 years of love" Eoin smiled kissing her gently on the lips.
"And that's the secret isn't it" Mr Ripley said
"What do you mean?" Eoin shrugged
"The kiss of course"
"I agree" Mrs Ripley nodded
"You should kiss as if it's your first and last" Eoin nodded
"Indeed" Mr Ripley took Mrs Ripleys face in his hands and kissed her for an awkwardly passionate and long amount of time. Eoin broke the silence "And how about you two?"
"Oh no we did earlier" I immediately excused us
"Oh come on you are young, in love show us how it's done" Mr Ripley said
"Oh no really it's fine" I said
"She's shy" Shayne agreed with me
"Oh go on" Colleen laughed along,
"Fine there" Shayne pecked me on the cheek.
"That was lovely" I turned to them all hoping they would give in.
"That was pathetic" Mrs Ripley laughed
"Just Kiss the girl!" Eoin said.
I looked around for an excuse when Shayne pulled my face to his and kissed me deeply. For a moment I felt the Room had melted away and all the lights had faded to pink. He lingered for a moment before releasing me and am throwing his hands in the air as if to say "are you happy" Everyone was satisfied and noted the affection.
Soon the meal
Was finished and everyone began to ready themselves to end the night. Shayne stood taking the plates. "Oh no don't worry about that we will do that" Colleen smiled
"No it's fine" Shayne shrugged
"I must insist we do it" Mrs Ripley intervened
"Yes out those down and I mean it we can do it" me Ripley insisted
"Thank you" Shayne nodded placing the plate back down. I said goodnight to Colleen and Eoin before heading to the room upstairs with Shayne. I got into bed and ready while Shayne changed into sleep ware. Next I watched him step over to the damp roll up bed he had laid on the floor. He lied back for a moment trying to find comfort. He turned to me and sighed. "It's wetter than mercury lake back in Valentine" he frowned
I felt a sting of pity shoot through my spine. "I suppose you could sleep up here"
"Yer sure?" He sat up
"Yes, but any funny business and your back on the floor."
"Of course" he chuckled leaping to the other side of the bed.
Next I felt his warmth beside me as he clambered Under the duvet. It was all very improper but I felt sympathy for him and something in the air had changed at dinner.
For a moment there was a tension. I though back to the moment at dinner, the way it felt, not like any other Of the cold and stone-like I had felt. It was warm and human. Like a children's tale or rhyme, something sweet and sincere. I listened to his breath for a second and then for another. "Well" I said "goodnight" quickly I turned away.
"Goodnight yourself" he said slowly as if he was unsure before also turning away.
Morning had broken through the curtains and I felt myself being held lovingly. I kept my eyes shut tight. All of a sudden I felt very calm and jovial. Next I felt the hold loosen and slowly the warmth beside me lift his body and then him lightly loom his head over mine cautiously moving one of his arms and brushing a lock of hair behind my ear. Then the warmth completely got up trying not to disturb me but I heard the door very slowly creak open. I allowed my eyes to open as they adjusted I watched his sillouette slip away and down the stairs.

Right I'm sorry I update so infrequently I'm just busy I suppose. However, the show must go on! I'm writhing something special for the festive season as a present for those of you who enjoy reading what I write to any degree other than that have a lovely day and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.