Shell shocked

The city roads were just as crowded at night as it was on the day that they had arrived. Inaya's father hired a rickshaw to take them to the station faster. They got downright opposite the station and hurried to cross it. On the other side, Hemnath gave a cry of frustration. "I think I left Inaya's book in the rickshaw. Let me go get it, he's still standing there."

"No, leave it. Let's go," urged Chitra, who was carrying Inaya.

"Just a minute," he said and turned to cross the road. Just as he was about to reach the rickshaw, the driver had started it and was leaving. In the dash to catch him, Hemnath did not see the car speeding towards him. Chitra had seen the car roaring down the road. He'll get hurt, she thought crossly.

"Ina, let me go fetch your father."

"No, Ma, stay with me."

Chitra gently put her down, but a screech had her looking up. Without thinking she ran across the street to push Hemnath out of harm's way. But she was too late, they were both knocked onto the road, bleeding out and unconscious. Barely a few seconds passed when Inaya saw her parents stop moving. A crowd had gathered, they brought the couple to the curb. "They're dead. Hit and run. Who are they?" The crowd asked.

Nobody noticed a shell shocked girl by the road holding a broken chain with a pendant.