Chapter Ten

Looking around again, I reveled in the riot of colorful flowers that engulfed us as well as the lush green grass of the meadow underfoot. The magic I was accustomed to had more practical objectives. It was the magic one used to fight and heal with. It was the type of magic that was associated with war, rather than beauty. In all my years, I had never once used my magic just for the hell of it.

Hmm, maybe you should have, I thought to myself.

My stomach started to growl when I saw the array of mouth-watering foods set up before me. I heard Odran chuckling, but I didn't pay him any attention. Instead, I sat down and proceeded to sate myself on the spread before me. And it wasn't a decision that was in any way difficult. I was well beyond sick and tired of the fare my sister offered me for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I reached for a bunch of grapes and paused momentarily, waiting for the telltale feeling of tingling in my fingers that might imply that the food was charmed as well as the mead. But there was no tingling at all. Pulling a few grapes free, I popped them into my mouth, pleasantly surprised by how sweet their juice was as they burst inside my mouth. Finishing the grapes, I reached for a nectarine and found that it too, was the best tasting nectarine I'd ever eaten. Next, I picked up a golden roll and split it in half before buttering each side and adding some swiss cheese and a few strips of ham. I took a bite of my hastily prepared sandwich and marveled that it too, tasted uniquely delicious. It superseded any other pork, cheese or bread product I'd ever eaten before. "Why does everything taste so much better here?" I asked, eyeing Odran narrowly. It wasn't lost on me that he hadn't so much as budged an inch from his throne. Instead, he contentedly sipped his mead and watched me closely, making no motion to eat anything.

"Fae magic is the verra best type o' magic, lass. 'Tis the strongest magic, so everythin' ye taste an' experience is at its ootmost," Odran explained.

Nodding, I tried to appear nonplussed by his explanation, but all the while, a new plan was forming in my head. There was so much magic here that it would behoove me to steal some of it. Especially since my attempts to escape this evening would require an inordinate amount of magic that I wasn't sure I possessed. However, in order to steal some of the magic now being offered here, I would have to find a way to keep Odran preoccupied ... and there was the sticking point.

After polishing off my sandwich, I reached for a plum, which I swallowed in a few bites. Then I was thirsty and remembered Odran's mead. "What is that stuff exactly?" I asked, motioning to the jug in his hand. If the charm on the mead was insignificant enough, I could probably remove it with a reversal spell ...

"'Tis the drink o' the ancients, lass," he answered as he eyed me speculatively. Then he tipped his goblet forward to show me the contents. I dipped my finger into it before placing said finger on my tongue. The charm, probably some sort of love spell as far as I could tell, was so inconspicuous, I didn't think I needed to reverse it after all. And, even better, this could provide the perfect outlet to absorb all of Odran's attention while I stole his magic right out from under him.

"What's in it?" I asked again.

"Honey, water, yeast, spices an' fruit," he answered with a shrug as he took a large sip from the goblet. Clearly, he was immune to its effects. He eyed me with a smile. "Would ye care ta try some, lass?"

I nodded and watched another goblet magically appear between Odran's feet. He reached down and picked up the cup, pouring a healthy serving of mead into it. Then he handed the goblet to me. I precariously took one sip and then another before I decided if the taste of the mead agreed with me. It was sweet, but not cloyingly so. I took another few sips before placing the goblet down on the ground and reaching for a wedge of watermelon. I could feel the charm beginning to work inside me—like a flurry of butterflies suddenly swarming in my stomach. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling.