Chapter Nineteen

Bryn

Three Months Later

"Rand and I have set a date for our wedding which will be in exactly four months from today," Jolie announced happily as we walked along the beach just below Kinloch Kirk. She wrapped both of her hands around her swelling middle and faced me with a joyful smile. "Christa, of course, isn't happy about the announcement because she wanted us to have one big happy wedding with her and John."

"I'm sure she'll get over it," I responded with a smile. I'd met Christa maybe a handful of times and I liked her enough, although I wasn't convinced she was the sharpest tool in the shed. But she was a good friend to my sister and always had been so it was for that reason that I tolerated her. That and she wasn't around much which didn't give her the opportunity to get on my nerves.

"I hope so," Jolie answered with a sigh as she glanced down at her belly which was just starting to show. "I don't want to wait too long for the wedding since I'm getting bigger every day. And I don't want the wedding to be too close to my due date."

"So in four months' time, you'll be, what, eight months along?" I asked as I tried to do the math quickly in my head.

Jolie nodded and then sighed as she glanced out at the ocean. "And I'm sure I'll be huge and won't look a bit like a bride." She didn't sound happy about that thought.

"Eight months pregnant and huge or not, you'll still be a beautiful bride," I answered with a reassuring smile. "And I'm sure Rand thinks you're even more beautiful with every day that passes."

"Thanks," she responded as her eyes found mine again but the expression on her face said she didn't exactly agree with me. "And, yes, that's what Rand says, but I'm sure it's just to make me feel better about the way I look." She glanced down at herself and shook her head. "I can't imagine getting any bigger than I already am and I'm only four months along!"

"Exactly," I argued with a frown as I shook my head, thinking she had a long way to go. "You're barely even showing, Jolie."

"I feel like I'm as big as a cow," she answered with a laugh. "But at least the morning sickness is a thing of the past."

"Well, if it's any consolation, you don't look anything like a cow," I said, loving the feel of the sand beneath my bare feet. "And as for Rand, that man loves you more than anything in the world. I can see it in his eyes whenever he looks at you." Jolie immediately smiled and I could see her love for Rand clearly written all over her face. "Okay, enough of this sappy stuff. I'm not sure how much more I can take," I finished with a shake of my head and a teasing smile.

"Are we that bad?"

I nodded immediately and then rolled my eyes at her to say they were that bad and then some. "The two of you together can be pretty gross sometimes."

Jolie giggled as her cheeks colored with what I imagined was slight embarrassment. Then she inhaled deeply as she offered me a self-conscious smile. "I'm sure we are."

"Yep, just a little," I concurred with another big grin before I remembered the direction the conversation had been headed. "So, if you're worried about being too big for the wedding, why not just get married now?"

Jolie nodded as if the thought had already occurred to her. "I would have agreed to get married sooner but Rand wants a big wedding and all the arrangements that go along with one take quite a while ... I'm not even sure I can get everything wrapped up in four months!"

"Well, you know I'm always here to help?" I asked as I stopped walking and faced her. She paused as well, and her expression was one of curiosity. I didn't say anything but settled my hands on her stomach. I could feel the energy of her unborn baby immediately. "She's strong and healthy."