17.

Amara

The next day, I decided to catch up on my studies, so I found myself utlising the school's library and took advantage of the services. I pulled out my Sociology textbook and my notes from this morning's class out my bag and started marking off important notes needed for the small quiz the professor scheduled for this Friday.

Suddenly, rough hands covered my eyes and my capability of studying, but I smiled nonetheless knowing exactly who they belonged to.

"Lucien," I giggled.

"Hell no," a girly voice whisper yelled.

Or so I thought.

"Oh....hey Syl," I covered up the misunderstanding with a small smile.

Her mouth is gaped open in shock. "So, what I have man hands now?"

"No no I-I-I-I I just thought y-y-you were," I stammered in embarrassment, making her frown turn into a smirk. "You just thought I was your boyfriend," she teased, and I scoffed to hide the overly revealing blush.

"He's not my boyfriend," I confessed plainly.

"Oh, so you're not together.......just messing around? I'm impressed," she hummed.

"I could never, do you think I'm that kind of person? Also, you've been with him so why the sudden interest in the topic?" I squinted my eyes to her.

I was trying my hardest to deny my feelings for Lucien, however, Syl saw right through me. My rambling caused her smirk to grow.

"I'm not. Babe, I just don't want you to get hurt," she answered, and I didn't press the topic further.

"Why are you here anyways?" I inquired, changing the subject. I mean it's a library, a free space for all students. 

Just, I've never seen Sylvia step foot into this place before until now.

Syl plopped onto the chair opposite of me and intertwined her fingers together.  "Weeeee are going to a party."

"No," I answered quickly in hushed tone. knowing that she was going to make up all kinds of excuses for me to go.

"Oh, come on Mara! You'll have fun doll. You don't even have to drink," she whined loudly, and the librarian had to come over to shush her. I laughed mentally.

"No, I have a lot of studying to do for my Sociology quiz and then I have to phone home, organise some stuff and then I don't want to get caught doing the wrong things a-" she cut me off by placing a finger to my lips.

"You're going to the party. I'm sure Lucien's going to be there, and he'll kick ass for you. I'll also look out for you; you know I will always have your back. I promise," she shot me her Sylvia Moore award winning smile and knew that I was going to give in.

"Fine, but I'm not staying too late. I have a strict schedule for my medicine intake," I whispered my final answer. Her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"You're never going to regret tonight," she winked, and I shot a fake smile.

I hope she was right.

When we got back to the room, Syl got ready for the party while I fiddled with my clothes, frustrated as I couldn't find anything party-like.

"Here try this on," she handed me one of her dresses and I cringed as I held it in front of my view.

"Syl, this is a mosquito net," I scrunched my nose in disapproval.

"Well try catching something in it then," she laughed and I threw it back to her.

I pulled out a blue washed out jeans cut at the knees and a yellow off the shoulder blouse. I took a quick shower and changed into the comfortable clothes. Settling for a yellow one toe sandals, leaving my hair loose and pinning my baby hairs back, I attached the oxygen tank to the carrier and looked into the mirror one last time for stepping out for the evening. 

I then turned to Sylvia who was busy applying too much makeup for such a casual occasion.

I envied her confidence to the slightest extent. The way the tight limestone colored dress hugged her curvaceous body and the way she can easily wear stilettos at her feet. To top it off, the way she somehow managed to perfectly waltz around in them made me think twice about going.

"Where is this party anyways?" I asked nervously.

"It's a bonfire party out on Derry Lake. You remember Rafael? He'll be calling to pick us up any second," she added the last bit of eyeliner and closed her makeup kit.

"And you're going in those?" I pointed to her feet, and she shrugged.

"Don't know what to expect babe," she clapped her hands together, "all set?"

I only nodded.

"Don't worry. You look beautiful., she complimented me, earning a smile of gratitude.

Her phone suddenly went off and she informed me that Rafael was outside. She grabbed her purse while I pushed my phone into side strapped purse. We unintentionally made Rafael wait 5 minutes extra, though he didn't mind. 

He greeted us with a hug, and we all got in his Porsche. As he pulled out of campus and onto the road which connected to the direction of the lake, I decided to spark conversation with the two. While Syl and Rafael dosed off into a deep conversation about music, I text Cotton a small greeting and endorsed myself in a conversation with him.

I smiled at the corny message he sent me before locking my phone again. I slightly jolted forward as Rafael came to a stop. I noticed that we were at our destination.

Laughter of young adults and teens were heard nearer to the lake, but the shimmering of the fire could've been seen at a far distance. Rafael cut off the engine and we got out of the car, making our way over to where everyone was at. We walked on the rocky walkway, crossing the bridge. I became nervous as I took in the amount of people that were here.

"Hey, I'm right here, Raf gave his word to keep a close eye too. Loosen up a bit," Syl made her way to walk next to me and embraced me with a warm smile. I returned the gesture and quickened my pace.

"Look! Lucien is standing over there. Are you coming or what?"

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo