10. Friends

Paris, France
March, 1831

It was this particular Saturday, in mid-March, that Lorraine woke up with an overwhelming feeling of dread. She refused to remove herself from her bed for minutes after waking up, hoping if she didn't move, the day wouldn't progress. Unfortunately, she couldn't control time, and could hear something stirring below her. She groaned, rubbing her face lazily with her hand. She had hoped that somehow this Saturday would never come.

Lorraine was about to stand up, when her door flew open, and someone ran inside. Lorraine shrieked in terror, trying to hide under the covers.

"Wake up!" Matelote shouted, pulling the blanket away from the terrified girl.

"You can't just burst in here, yelling like that!" Lorraine grew angry, snatching her blanket back.

"Do you even know what day it is?" Matelote closed the bedroom door, and made her way to the trunk full of clothes.

"Of course I know."

Matelote unlatched the trunk and rummaged through it. At first, she took out the blue and white stripped dress that had once been tucked at the bottom, along with the other regualr colored dresses. "Oh, how I love this one." Matelote held it up to her, swaying the skirt back and forth. "You would look so beautiful in this." She frowned. Next, she pulled out a dark dress with crape edges and a long skirt. The material scratched Matelote's skin, and made her frown slightly. The mourning period was not yet over, which restricted Lorraine to only black dresses such as this one.

The door opened once more, and Gibelote ran inside as well. She slammed it shut, and leaned against it. "We only have a few moments before your aunt notices we're gone."

"Here," she threw the dress on the bed, and turned back to the trunk to find some jewelry. Once Lorraine was dressed, Matelote forced her to sit in front of the mirror, and began to brush her hair.

"Why are you doing all this?"  Lorraine turned to look at Matelote, but she moved her head back.

"Can a friend not help her other friend find the possible love of her life?" Matelote asked, before pining some of Lorraine's hair up.

"He only said he would be back today, not that he was going to propose!" Lorraine said, receiving a small huff in response.

"He might as well!" The two were plunged into silence for the next few moments.

"I'm nervous." Lorraine stood up, and began to pace the room. Her hands rested on her hips, and her eyes wandered around the room.

"You were born in a city by the sea." Matelote suddenly said.

"A city by the sea?" Lorraine turned around, confused by Matelote's comment. "What do you mean?"

"Listen, I am right." Matelote walked over to Lorraine.

"You rode in here, all naive and pristine." Matelote recalled how lost and confused Lorraine was for the first few weeks.

"Naive, pristine, me?" Lorraine rose an eyebrow.

"Yes, it's so." Gibelote piped up.

"Gibelote." Lorraine scolded playfully.

"You messed up orders, and terrorized the cook. Ha!" Matelote laughed as the images of Sandrine yelling at the two waitresses to help Lorraine, after she dropped three trays of food onto the floor. She nearly cried and hid in the cellar, until Matelote and Gibelote cleaned her up and showed her how to carry the tray with more skill. "How the cafe shook!"