12. A Best Friend's Promise

Paris, France
April, 1831

Éponine watched from the corner of the café, her hands wrapped tightly around a hot mug of tea as Lorraine rushed around the room. She was picking up and replacing empty drinks before the customer knew their glass was empty. She served hot food to the cold and shivering patrons, letting them leave full and warm. Éponine had asked for only a mug of tea, hugging it close to her. She tracked her only friend around the room, waiting for when she took her break.

Lorraine finally slowed down and sat down at Éponine's table. "I am so sorry. Busy day today. The snow brought in a lot of people looking for something warm."

"No worries." Éponine sipped her tea, speaking so quiet, Lorraine could barely hear her.

Lorraine was concerned. "Is everything alright?" She reached out for her friend's hand.

"Everything's fine." Éponine refused to meet Lorraine's eyes.

"No it's not." Lorraine said. "I'm your friend. You have to tell me when your not okay."

Éponine sighed. "Maman dismissed Gavroche this morning. She said she'd hurt 'em if he came back. I don't know where he's gone." Éponine sniffled. She had been conditioned by her uncaring mother to ignore her brother's cries in the dark, his screams in pain when their father would hit him, to ignore his existence entirely. She loved her brother. When he was first born, their mother neglected him. She would leave him in the bar, covered in his own vomit and screaming to be fed. After her parents were asleep, Éponine would sneak down to him and try to calm him. As he grew, her pride for his smart mouth and strong personality grew. She loved her brother, and now he was gone.

"Oh, 'Ponine..." Lorraine got up and hugged her friend close to her. "It will be okay. We can find him."

"Oh, Anne, I dunno. Maman told him if she ever saw his face again, she'd kill 'em." Éponine cried.

Lorraine sat and held her friend for a few more moments, before the sniffling girl pulled away.

Éponine wiped her nose. "Don't tell anyone I cried like a baby, okay? I's got a reputation to uphold." She laughed, but it never made it to her eyes. "I know Gavroche likes you. If you see him, tell him I love him." Eponine abruptly stood up, and brushed the wrinkles off her skirt.

"Leaving already?" Lorraine stood up as well, concerned. "Are you sure your okay?"

Éponine nodded, "I've been gone too long. I need to get back."

"Alright." Lorraine sadly smiled at her friend. "Be careful."

"I will. I always am." Eponine hugged Lorraine.

But she was stopped from leaving by a small boy, no older than eight years old rushing into the café. His hair was short and straight, poking out from underneath his ratty old cap. His eyes darted around the room as he scanned the crowds. His clothes hung off his skinny body, making him look like he was drowning in the large coat and pants he wore. His shoes had giant holes in the soles, worn down from all the running he did. His face, along with his hands, were covered with coal dust and dirt. He jumped up in an empty chair and shouted, "I've got a letter for Lorraine Legrand!"

The café fell silent as the customers looked at the boy in confusion or irritation. Lorraine fished a few coins out of her apron pocket and handed them to the boy.

"Merci, ma'am." He gave her the letter, tipped his hat, and rushed back out.

"Lorraine? What is it?" Sandrine rushed to her niece.

"I'm not sure..." Lorraine unfolded the letter and began to read the curly legs scribbled on the parchment. "Marceau." She looked up, with tears in her eyes. Her aunt frowned, fearing the worst had happened.

But suddenly, Lorraine began to smile wide, and Sandrine realized that the tears streaming down her cheeks were happy tears. "Marceau is coming to Paris!" Lorraine laughed, clutching the letter close to her heart.

"What? Why?" Sandrine questioned.

Lorraine looked back down at the letter. "'My dear sister, it is with great pleasure that I tell you that I, along with my wife and daughter, will be coming to Paris within the next month. I have a meeting in Paris with a commander of the Paris police, and am serving as a representative for Reims. I would love to spend time with you and Aunt Sandrine. I plan to arrive in Paris by mid- April! Signed, Marceau Legrand!"' Lorraine read aloud, nearly jumping with excitement by the end.

"Oh my!" Sandrine gasped, a smile crossing her lips. "We must get ready!" She ran back to the kitchen to finish the orders, planning a list of chores that need to be done.

"Two Legrand children under one roof? How will we survive?" Matelote pretended to be in distress. Éponine smiled a bit, hiding herself behind Lorraine.

"We can barely manage with only one!" Gibelote added.

"Oh, quiet you two." Lorraine shook her head, laughing. "My brother is the best person in the world."

She turned to Éponine. "And you'll just fall in love with my niece, Alexandrine." Lorraine thought back in the last time she had seen her niece. "She's small, but kind and sweet."

"I thought I was the best person in the world... Do I have some competition?" A drunk voice called out from a table beside Lorraine.

She put her hands on her hips. "You're still here? Did you even go home last night?"

Grantaire shrugged, "home is a relative term. Home can be anywhere. Perhaps, home for you is here, in this café, and perhaps for me it is this bottle of lovely, lovely wine..." He trailed off, his eyelids closing for a few seconds before he shook himself awake.

"Anne, I best be going. And don't forget." Éponine placed her hand on Lorraine's shoulder, before she left.

She smiled as her friend walked away and out of sight, before she got back to her orders.

Her mind was still buzzing from Marceau's letter, and she couldn't wait to see her brother once again.