Chapter 17:

After the game ended and we are sitting around chatting, Michael calls out over the volume of the room, telling everyone that we're about to start worship. I didn't consider myself much of a singer so hopefully, this goes well.

      I followed the lead of the others in the group as they led the way back through the hallway, and into another room. This one was obviously the main room, with rows of pews facing a large stage. There were four people already on the stage, three of them with instruments. A violin, a guitar, and a box drum that the player was sitting on top of.

      As soon as the last few conversations died down, and everyone was either sitting in the rows closest to the stage or standing a bit closer, the band started to play. It was a slower song, and as the others in the group started to sing along, I started to panic. I didn't know the words to any of the songs! Would I have to come here every week until I learned them perfectly on my own?

      After a second, I realized that there was a projector set up, displaying the words to the song. I scan the lyrics, hesitant to join in. What if someone hears me and makes fun of my singing? The only singing I've ever done had been in the shower. I have zero confidence.

      The song ended before I could pluck up the nerve to sing along, and it was nearly halfway through the third song before I finally realized that I was being completely ridiculous. If they hadn't teased me yet, then why would they? Samuel said that Christians were supposed to love each other, so why was I thinking it would be like wearing no pants to school?

      I scanned the projector sheet and found where the song was currently at, and then I started to sing. At first, I glanced around every once in a while to see if anyone was watching me with judging eyes, but that's even more ridiculous. Most everyone had their eyes closed, and some are even raising their hands in praise.

      As the song ends, I get more comfortable, and I really start to realize what exactly I'm singing. I'm worshiping, and it's not hard! I feel like I'm not doing it right. God has done so much for me, not even counting the fact that he literally died, and here I am repaying him by just singing. It somehow feels wrong, but at the same time, singing the words feel wonderful, like I could keep doing it for hours. I feel disappointed when the song ends, and the band puts their instruments away. I should have joined sooner.

      Instead of going back into the other room we all take seats in the first few rows of pews, and Michael comes to stand there.

      "Those songs were beautiful, weren't they? Can we all make sure to thank the worship team before leaving?" he smiled at no one in particular, but everyone at the same time. He spoke a short message about loving others as Jesus loves us. I took in every word like a dry sponge soaking in water for the first time.

Michael finished sharing "And before we all go home, it's time to pray for a bit, and if any of you have any specific requests, you can just tell us now, and we can hold you in our prayers."

     For a moment, I'm tempted to share the way my family had been acting, but then other people start talking about illnesses, and Samuel's mother's car crash, and I feel like my problem is insignificant. If God had so much work to do already, I didn't want to bother Him with something that He probably couldn't even fix.

      I'm surprised to hear that most of the people here are praying like I was. Just like a normal conversation, and not with a bunch of 'thees" and "thous." Even Michael didn't use that kind of stuff, and by the end of the time, I'm feeling a lot more encouraged. I still don't want to go home, but at least I know God is with me wherever I go.

      "You ready to go, Sadie?" Peter came up to me as everyone started to break up and go their separate ways, with some remaining to talk and hang out.

      "Yeah, sure. Is your mom here?" I replied quickly, searching for Melody to say goodbye before we leave. A quick scan reveals that she isn't in the room anymore, or she might have even left the building already.

      "Yeah, she's waiting in the parking lot." He told me, then when he noticed that I was looking around, he added; "Are you looking for someone?"

      "Just a friend, but it's fine, we can leave now." I smiled.

      He nodded. "C' mon," he said quickly before weaving around the last few people, toward the door. He led me to the parking lot, where there were only four more cars remaining, and together we make our way over to the minivan.

      I opened the door and climbed into the same seat I'd sat in on the way here, and I buckle up as Rebecca starts the car and drove through the parking lot.

      "So, how was it?" Rebecca asked after a short time.

      "It was really fun." I say, and at the same time, Peter simply replied with, "Good."

      "That's good to hear." she chuckled. "I'm glad you both had a good time."

      "Yeah, thanks for driving us!" I smiled at her.

      "Oh, it was no trouble." She clearly meant it. I have a suspicion that, if my mom had driven me, she would have had a much different attitude. The thought of her reminds me of the hostility that I have to go home to, and I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

      For the rest of the ride, I dreaded going back home, and I watched buildings and cars as they flashed past the window.

      Though the ride seemed lengthy when we first headed to the church, it simply flew by on the way back, and before I really knew what was happening, I was back in my driveway, watching the beige mom can drive away down the street. I almost wished I'd gone with them.

      I shook my head. It didn't matter about my family. They would snap out of it eventually. I made my way into the house, trying to be quiet so that I didn't attract anyone's attention as I climbed the stairs and got myself ready for bed. The next day was Saturday. I had to spend the whole day at home unless something else came up, and that didn't sound very appealing at all.

      I climbed into bed and quickly checked my phone. There were no texts, much less one from Samuel. I wonder how he's handling it all, and if his mom will be okay.

      My thoughts dwindle as I drift off into a dreamless, black sleep.