For You

I was about calling her back when an SMS dropped. I checked the message and it was from her;

"Second time offender, sorry we ended that way. PS I am not married, I am single but NOT SEARCHING"

I smiled and replied

"Your offense can be repeated for eternity, if it will permit me to keep contact with you. PS you don't have to search, your personality is a magnet thus attracts"

I did not return my phone to hiding, nor did I step back into the hostel. I went straight to where Abdul was waiting with some of our guys and casually told him "let's roll". Our guys seeing how my attention was glued to my phone started making gest of me as we left the hostel premise "An kama Mugu" I looked out to them and screamed "Awwwww Wallah, An kan min". Abdul slowed down and they rushed to us again, they were eager to know who the hunter was that hunted me down. I told them "wata mai Niqaab". They were not satisfied by my reply and asked specifically for her name. It was then I realised I was yet to know my Niqabee's name.

All things been equal, we left for town and were almost at our evening hangout when her message dropped again.

"you can improve my vocabulary, kindly agree to that and magnets attract anything. I dislike that attribute"

for a moment I thought this would be a battle but I was optimistic it'd be a sweet one. Seeing that she picked offense in my likening her to a magnet, I felt I should shed more light and hence replied.

"You are my Sayida, my mistress, in the midst of magnets you're a rare type with selective attraction - precious metals only... Goodnight"

My eyes lost their power of sight to my mind, there was a big screen before me and I was unaware of my surrounding. I barely closed my eyes when the call to Fajr (dawn) prayer was made. Only then did I realize that I had spent the whole night fantasizing about a mystery girl whom I don't know her name let alone describe.

I stood up and performed ablution to say my fajr prayers. The prayer was unlike others, my heart was filled with questions and requests all encompassing one being. I did not leave the mosque for about two hours after the congregational prayer. I normally recite the Quran when i am in a dilemma so the words therein can takeover my thoughts. It was really helpful this time. I made sure i asked God to intervene in this relationship which was indescribable and somewhat unconditional. Part of me was hoping everything was destined for us to be whereas another part of me was hoping i will wake up and realize it was all but a dream owning to the fact that most factors that cement relationships may not favor us. In the end the Will of God is what i asked to prevail regardless of my feelings.

The sun was young yet burning. I walked majestically towards the house absolutely clueless about others. I felt like a Saint who just communicated to the outer world. I suddenly remembered the tone of my Niqabee when she chuckled and wished me luck finding her. I dared to look straight into the sun till i was temporarily blind during which i searched for how the face behind the veil would look. Surprisingly i saw someone and maybe my imagination just made it up. The face shook me  and i quickly turned away from the sun covering my eyes. A lady walked passed me and looked away deliberately, who could she be?

On that same street, with same physique, same aura with my Niqabee and most importantly without a veil. I turned towards her and greeted her "Salam Alaikum".
She turned and answered me. She was the definition of pretty but unfairly, she smiled. It took much stance before i could talk further. She quickly noticed my discomfort and looked away. My Niqabee? I was going to ask her where she left her Niqab but then i wasn't feeling that identity confirmation i feel when i see my Niqabee so I asked her instead of her Sister's whereabout. She looked at me and said "But I don't know you, besides which of my sisters?". I got more confident it wasn't my Niqabee but her Kin. I told her i was sorry for been direct, that i was new around not really staying there and i happened to know her Sister that puts on a face veil.

She was startled and asked "you're the person she texts time to time recently?". I said I couldn't be sure and she said she was sure it was me. She stepped away from me and said

"You fit the person i imagined could rob me of my sister's full attention and i am happy to have met you in her absence".

I was short of words and could only thank her for having a positive perception of me even though there was a little sentiment. She then took off and said

"the person you ask of is right behind you, and FYI i have just one sister; Ameena. Thank me later i know you don't know her name... YET".

This lady was almost as awesome, she found her way into our timeline as a strategic figure; the one who opened the page of names.

As i turned i was convinced it was my Niqabee, Ameena! The sun must have hid it's face in shame of how i smiled like a fool on seeing my Niqabee. The atmosphere became ambient, the birds around seemed to be having a concert with pleasing chirps, the breeze was cool, the trees were dancing in sync with the breeze and I suddenly remembered the last time i saw her.

"Why are you always coming from behind me, i asked"
she smiled and told me
"To interrupt your mood, who knows maybe i am meant to amaze you?".

I thought it was better i allowed that line to drop before things got really amazing. I then asked her where they were headed that early in the morning and she said " School, they were going to Islamiyya". I asked how they coped with Western School and Islamiyya, she said it was their dream to excel in both facets of knowledge and their parents happen to be Academicians. The father a University Teacher and the Mother a Head Teacher in their Islamiyya. I then remebered her sister's face and told her whom her sister reminded me of. My childhood Mallama Maimuna, they have striking resemblance.

My Niqabee looked down for a moment then looked at me making a long hmmm. She told me she will be late for school lest she paced up to meet her sister. I offered to walk with them and she accepted on condition that i left them as soon as we reached the school gate. I agreed and we caught up with her sister as fast as we could. The sister was more social and it became obvious from her comments in our group discourse that i could use her help in getting things accurate. As i sighted the Islamiyya from afar i knew our chat was coming to an end so I decided to toss a coin, i had a question which i was longing to ask My Niqabee but i was scared of the possible outcome. If i asked the sister who happened to know what was going on with her, the consequences would be low so "flip - i tossed the coin".

"Dear sister, a lot of dazzling incidences have been happening between me and your beloved sister, it could be my awkward thoughts but i think some forces are acting between me and her. Some attractive while some repulsive, despite all odds we seem to be on cruise; if i may ask, what do you think of us?"

She called her sister, and asked me of my name. Fahad, i told her may name was Fahad. She leaned on her sister patting her gently and said

"what i think of you guys is not much, but i believe my sister Ameena is meant FOR YOU!"

Hearing this response made me numb, i could not find my breath. I watched them as they walked into the Islamiyya. My Niqabee waved me and signed me that she will contact me later.