Chapter 16: All's Well

Last night before I went to sleep, I got to check the pictures Anthony sent me. They had multiple groufies at the bistro where they had breakfast. He also took photos of the food he had that morning and some of the interesting stuff he found inside the restaurant.

Anthony also shared a video of him shopping for a new necktie. He accidentally dipped the one he's wearing onto his gravy while eating. Good thing there was nearby boutique.  

"Love, which one should I get?" The camera was facing him while he held one of the ties. He put it down and picked another one. "This one?" He held it closer to the screen. "Yeah, this one? Okay." He was nodding as if I was there and agreeing with his choice. He went to the cashier pay for his purchase. I heard someone offering to put on the tie. The camera's focused on his face and neck while he watched the other person tend to him. Once done, he panned the camera to Cassy and thanked her. He flipped the screen back to him and flashed a toothy smile.

There was another set of food pictures, this time from where they had lunch. Cassy took them to one of her favorite restaurants where they serve British home-cooked meals. He tried the Sunday Roast and they all shared the Shepherd's pie. He had a short video showing me how delicious the pie was.

The camera was directed at the Shepherd's pie casserole. His Aunt, seated beside him, cut off a piece fitting the large serving spoon and placed it on his plate. "Let's taste how delicious this pie is!" He said excitedly grinning at the screen. Using his free hand, he fished some of the pie with his fork and ate. "Yummy!" He looked at the screen, "I'm coming back here with you, Love, and we'll have this." He took a big portion and devoured it. He was like a five-year-old kid with his antics. Someone reached out from across the table to wipe his mouth. "Oops, thanks nanny Cassy".  He teased her and they all laughed.

I felt relieved that he is enjoying his trip to London. I messaged him.

Message #1 – I want some of that Shepherd pie too! (a woman with a hand raised emoji)

Message #2 – Love, don't give nanny Cassy a hard time, ok? LOL (a laughing emoji)

Message #3 – Talk to you tomorrow morning! Love you! 

Today, I'm headed to the SMX Convention in Pasay. I'm attending a career talk organized by ACUP (Association of Catholic Universities of the Philippines). Each summer, our company gets invited to participate in the organization's week-long career fair. The main objectives of this event are to assist the current graduating college students of the member schools to be aware of what careers are available to them; get acquainted with some job-hunting best practices; and set realistic employee expectations as they become part of the workforce sector. Our company selects its representative from the pool of alumni from ACUP's member schools.

It will be a half-day affair for me and be done before lunch. As this is an official business, I'm not required to go back to the office for the remainder of the day. This will give me time to pay Kat a visit at her office in Makati so we can discuss further our secret project.

I was with 2 other speakers for this talk. Unlike any other career talks, the organizers veered away from the conventional seminar-style set-up. For one, only 40 seats were allotted per career talk. There were 3 other talks that are taking place in the convention. And this has been ongoing for a week now.

The first two hours was focused on our journey to achieving our careers now and what job responsibilities we have in our present work. It was given a talk show-like treatment. The other half was the interesting session. It was a more interactive and intimate activity. All 40 attendees were grouped into 4 and the 10 groups were provided a small table. The students are given 5 minutes to come up with a career question that they have for the guests. They must write this question on the white paper. The speakers will then go to each table and given 5 minutes to answer. It was like speed-dating.