Chapter 10: Last Day

I woke up the next morning to the smell of menthol, Salonpas to be exact. Last night, I placed these cool patches on my shoulders, nape, and lower back. They relieved my pain and gave me almost 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I was sprawled on my stomach at my bed when my senses came alive. My digital clock on the bedside table flashed 8:56am. I got up and opened my window. I could hear Papa's Sunday playlist.

"Is it Sunday?" What day is it?" I asked myself. I reached out to the bedside table and grabbed my phone. The phone display says Monday. I immediately opened my Messenger. I have two notifications from Anthony.

Message #1 – Nice room

Message #2 – Ok, let's talk tomorrow

I didn't bother to reply. It's the wee hours of the morning in London. But I would give him a call later.

I got up, fixed my bed and headed to the bathroom. My eye did not escape the last box that I haven't cleared.

"I'll get to it after breakfast," I told myself.

This is the last day of our leave. Papa, Dylan and I all filed for paid-time off for today, an extra day to rest after the move. Don has classes today though.

As I was walking down the stairs, I could hear Papa singing along to Air Supply's "All Out Of Love". I reached the dining area and everyone was there, minus Don.

"Oh, there's my Princess! Finally awake! We were just thinking about calling your Prince Charming to wake you up," Papa teased. He was in high spirits.

I pouted and Papa hugged me, "I'm just kidding. We couldn't wake you. Did you stay up late last night?"

"No, Pa. I slept at around 9. I was really tired," I answered. I sat on the empty chair adjacent to his. Mama, who's sitting across the table, handed me a coffee cup. Dy was beside me.

"Really?! How come you have puffy eyes?" Dy nudged me teasingly.

I glared at my brother, "It's because I had too much sleep! Duh!!!" He laughed loud and I smacked his arm.

"Enough of that, we're eating," Mama calmly reminded us.

"I am done," Dy declared and stood up. "I must prepare. I'm picking up Sheena from the hospital. She's cooking for us." He turned to Mama, "Ma, don't bother with today's lunch. My girlfriend and I got it covered."

"Thank you," Mama replied.

"I hope you do not lurk around the kitchen while Sheena's cooking. You'll only cause a disaster!" I shook my head then sipped my coffee.

"Well...I hope you do not smell like a granny when I come back!" He rebutted. I ran after him but he was quick to reach the stairs and disappeared.

I went back to my room after breakfast. I picked up the last box. I could finally say I'm done after this. I carefully removed the envelopes, separating the important documents from the other personal files.

My small workplace nook was an L-shaped desk. Both sides house a drawer and cabinet. I stored the important files on the left cabinet. I was arranging the less important yet valuable ones when I saw the pink envelope again. I do not need to open it because I know precisely what's inside. But my hands seemed to have their own mind and pulled open the envelope flap. I reached in and took out my letter for Mike.

Almost 4 years had passed since I last saw Mike. Although our common friends from the bank arrange meet-ups from time to time, we don't get to see each other. It's either I have left already or he has. When they'd plan for get-togethers, the dates don't agree with his schedule or I am the one unavailable.