Chapter 20: 30, 60, 90

30

Thirty days had gone by after Anthony and I had officially broken up. I had been busy on a project at work and only had time today to go through the stuff that he had given me. They're boxed up and ready for pick-up. Quarterly, the Homeowners Association collects used and second-hand items that get donated to different charitable institutions.

Every day, after that dreadful video call, I would dump in the box any item in my room that I come across with that reminds me of Anthony. It began to fill up on its own. I would have returned them all to him but I have no inclination to see him anymore. Besides, he had given all these to me so I own them and I have every right to do whatever I please with them.

I carried the box to the front yard. A paper with the word "Donation" was posted on one side. As I deposit it on the ground, I recalled that Saturday night when he showed up at our house. He had contacted me relentlessly the moment he got back from London. I have stalled meeting him a few times. I wasn't ready and I cannot allow my love problem to distract me from my priorities at work.

(Breaking up isn't really hard to do...)

After several requests for us to talk, I've finally agreed to meet Anthony. He was eager and thankful for my reply. This was necessary and I could no longer delay it. Whatever he would say doesn't matter anymore. My mind's made up - I'm officially breaking up with him. This was for closure and for moving on.

Apparently, he was just within our vicinity thus he got to our house sooner than I expected. I was still in my sweaty shirt when he texted me.

Anthony: Hi Lytes. I'm here, at your front yard

Lytes: Wait for me in your car

I had just finished working out with Dy. I tried my hand at the speed bag installed in their workout room and the new free standing heavy bag we bought a week ago. It was an impulsive purchase – I was furious with Anthony that I wanted to paste a picture of his face on the heavy bag while I punch it. My brothers had no complaints and made room for it in their small gym.

I changed to a fresh shirt and a jogger pants. When I descended from the stairs, Papa told me about the car waiting.  

"Anthony's car is outside," Papa said.

"If you need back-up, just holler Ate," Dy smirked.

I waved my hand to dispel his help, "No need. I can manage this." I told them and got out.

As soon as Anthony saw me walking towards him, he went out of his car.

"Let's talk inside your car," I was cold and commanding. I opened the passenger door and sat there. I watched him go back to the driver's seat.

He looked at me and quickly diverted his attention to fastening his seat belt. "Do you want us to drive off somewhere?"

"No. We're talking here," I replied nonchalantly. He was about to start the car but stopped. I was staring at him, apathetic and unfeeling. He could feel my eyes focused on him, waiting for his next move.

Anthony took a deep breath and faced me. I adjusted my sitting position to have a better view of him and have not diverted my eyes away. His face had slimmed down and there's dark circle under his eyes. He doesn't look like he's been eating and sleeping well. But the hell I care!

"Lytes..." I was all ears. "I made a mistake...and I know it's unforgivable. I was stupid...I got drunk and allowed myself to be tempted." He was starting to tear up. "I don't have any other explanation." His voice broke, "I... I don't know if...if you'd believe me."