Chapter Three

‘I’m going up to Milton Keynes on Saturday to see Evie and Sam. You should come – it’s been ages since you saw them both.’ I say, standing in our kitchen while Henry meticulously irons one of his many expensive shirts that I’m not allowed to touch for fear of burning them. There’s been a tiny thaw between us in the last few days, but we’re still avoiding any subjects that might cause another row… until now.

‘Ah. I made a few appointments to look at flats. I thought you might want to get the ball rolling again.’

‘Oh, I see. I wish you’d told me. You don’t mind looking at them alone, do you?’

He sighs. ‘I suppose not. We can always go and do a second viewing if I think it’s worth another crack. Would it be safe to assume you’re taking your beloved board with you?’

‘Of course. It’s a charity thing, so it’s for a good cause. If I’m going all the way up there, I might as well get a bit of riding in. Why don’t you cancel the appointments and come?’ I suggest, but I know that deep down he’s likely to say no.

He looks unimpressed, as predicted. ‘I don’t think so, Lex. I left that all behind a few years ago… I really don’t think I need to be hanging out with Sam and his followers. They’re like perpetual students with all that ‘live to ride’ bullshit…’

‘But you and Sam… you used to be such good mates?’

‘Lex, we’re on totally different paths now. I grew up and Sam… didn’t. Besides, I get enough skiing when we go to Verbier.’ He adds, referring to the chalet his parents own in Austria. I go and join them every other Christmas, and it’s a lovely place to spend a few days but very different to the holidays I’ve had with Sam and Evie, when we’d be downing Jägerbombs until 3am and catching the first lifts six hours later, a face full of cold snow chasing away our hangovers.

Henry pushes the iron down hard on the collar of his favourite blue shirt, obviously tense. ‘Why do I get the feeling that you’re backtracking on the house idea? I thought we’d discussed this?’

‘No, Henry… You discussed it. I listened. We disagreed. And since then, we’ve just been avoiding the subject.’

‘So…’ He puts the iron down and leans against the wall, folding his arms across his chest. ‘Let’s talk. From my point of view, you don’t seem to be making much of an effort to A: get another job, and B: move forward with your life. Good. Talk over.’ He picks the iron back up and goes back to attacking the shirt, a little more vigorously than before.

‘That’s so unfair!’ I splutter, feeling my chest tighten. ‘I haven’t even left my old job yet! Believe me, I’m looking for work. I’ve already signed up with two freelancing agencies and they’ve assured me I’ll get lots of contracts in the meantime.’

He has the grace to look a little guilty. ‘Well, I wish you’d told me that. You have to see this from my side, sweetheart. I just don’t see any commitment from you– we’ve been together for so long now it just seems like a natural progression. Now you’re telling me that you’d rather go snowboarding this weekend. I know it sounds harsh, but I just think you need to grow up…’

‘Jesus, Henry! You make me sound like I’m prancing around like some sort of Avril Lavigne wannabe. I may be 30, but that doesn’t mean I’m past having fun.’

He sighs, putting the iron down again and walking towards me. ‘You know I don’t think of you like that, darling. Now you’re just being silly. Come here.

He tries for a hug but I brush him off. ‘Don’t.’

He looks hurt, but carries on talking at me. ‘I wish you would be a little more sophisticated sometimes, but… look, I just think Evie’s a bad influence. She’s not the smartest cookie in the jar – I mean, look at about how messed up her life is – no car, no house, a job that just seems to revolve around partying. And as for Sam… he’s such a cliché.’