Chapter Twenty Three

'Do you fancy a movie?' Dan asks, looking in the Fraser Local for some inspiration. Our lucky run of weather has finally come to an end and it's raining outside, making me feel miserable. Maybe these are the mid-season blues that I've been warned about, what with it being February. Everyone seems to be sick with flu and colds at the moment – probably the result of too much partying in January so I've decided to hole up at the boy's house for the day, not wanting to subject my bruised body to any snowboarding for once. Dan reels off a list of action movies that I really don't have any desire to see, noticing my nose wrinkling.

'Maybe not?'

'Sorry... I know I'm being shit.' I say, fidgeting on his sofa. We've been watching crappy television all morning, alternating between the weather channel and cop shows and I'm feeling completely apathetic.

He jumps up and grabs my arms, lifting me off the sofa. 'C'mon, we're going for a walk.'

'Do we have to?' I groan.

'Don't be such a wuss, Lex. We'll take a wander into town. You never know – something exciting might happen. '

'What? Like a particularly vicious game of Bingo in the Senior Citizens Drop-In Centre?'

'Just humour me. If I have to watch another episode of Crime Scene Investigation I might end up killing someone.'

'If you make me go out in that freezing rain I might kill you.' I huff under my breath. 'Just because you're happy not to have to teach in the wet...'

I'm still whingeing as we huddle together, walking up a deserted Main Street. Nobody seems to be anywhere. The Pub is empty, Travis, Taz and Tim are all at work, Stevie and Ben are nowhere to be found and the library is closed. Kendra isn't at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Shop so we can't even bag some freebies.I cram my beanie further over my forehead and with the hood of my jacket pulled right over, barely able to see anything above knee level.

'I'm having so much fun right now!' I shout through the wind and rain. Obviously, I'm being sarcastic.

'Oh, just shut up, woman!' he laughs, dragging me along. I've got my hand tucked into his arm when I suddenly feel his body tense. I peer out from under my hood to see what's wrong.

'You okay?'

He looks worried. 'We might want to cross over the road... Emily's up ahead with Rick.'

I yank my hood back and give him an exasperated look, not caring if the wind and rain sting my face. 'Honestly, Dan! It's a small town. I'm not going to spend the rest of my time here avoiding them. Why the hell should I?'

He looks somewhat taken aback by reaction before a big grin spreads across his face. 'Remind me not to get on your bad side.'

I grab his arm and we keep walking determinedly, even if my heart is hammering in my chest. As we get nearer, I can tell by their body language that things aren't exactly rosy between the two of them. Rick is shouting aggressively, pointing a finger right in Emily's face.

'I'm still your goddamn boss, right? Stop acting like a kid!'

'Oh, just bugger off!' she screams back, violently stamping her ridiculous furry moon-boot on the pavement. 'I saw the way you were looking at that girl! Just because you're some has-been Olympic skier, you think you're a rock star!'

'She's here on vacation! We're supposed to make sure she's having a good time!'

'And I just bet your idea of giving her a good time is shagging her into next Wednesday! Sure, Rick! That'll make her REALLY happy!'