Chapter Thirty Four

I snigger as we fall through the kitchen door together, Aaron’s hands cupping my bottom and squeezing hard.

‘Mmm, sexy padded shorts. And there was me thinking you had less junk in your trunk.’

‘Oi, cheeky!’ I chuckle, swatting his wandering hands away before I spot Jenn watching us. ‘Sorry Jenn! Didn’t see you there… You alright?’ I ask, noticing how pale and drawn her face looks.

‘Honey… I’ve got some bad news. Your ma just called.’

Granny died in her sleep last night; my wonderful, formidable, amazing grandmother, who always looked like she would live forever. Mum had been trying to get hold of me for hours. I called home as soon as Jenn told me, listening to my poor mother sob down the other end of the line as she explained as best she could. Apparently, it was a massive heart attack. The village doctor said Gran wouldn’t even have realised, dying peacefully in her sleep, but that’s little comfort. I hadn’t remembered to take my mobile phone out with me, looking down at the screen and spotting the ‘missed call’ notifications, next to the ‘new messages’ icon. The first text is from Evie.

JUST HEARD NEWS ABOUT GRANNY. SO SAD. HOPE U OK? WILL CALL LATER BUT LET ME KNOW WHICH FLIGHT YOU GET. S & I WILL PICK U UP. X

Aaron keeps his arm tightly wrapped around me as I quickly text her back, wiping my eyes on my sleeve. I’m still standing in my wet snowboarding gear, trembling slightly from the cold, as well as the shock.

‘Lex, baby… What can I do?’ Aaron asks softly, his voice barely a whisper. ‘Do you want me to call your airline? See what flight we can get you on?’

I look up at him in a daze, not quite realising the full implication of this horrible news.

*********

The Arrivals hall at Gatwick is so full it’s almost frightening to me.A few months in Fraser have made me forget that I used to deal with this many people milling around me, travelling on the Underground or walking down Oxford Street. But now, it seems almost claustrophobic.

My eyes are gritty from the dry cabin air and a lot of crying as I squint ahead, trying to steer the stubborn luggage trolley while I scan the faces in the crowd ahead, hoping that Sam and Evie are both here. I hear a familiar squeak and I’m suddenly engulfed in a fierce hug, smelling Evie’s familiar perfume. My shoulders slump as I let her hold me tightly, propping my head on her shoulder as I spot Sam walking towards us. He joins our little huddle, wrapping his long arms around us both as we stand in the middle of the narrow corridor, not caring that we’re getting in the way.

‘Hello.’ I sniff, tears streaming down my face as I bury my head in Sam’s neck. I have so many mixed emotions grappling for space inside my heart, it’s hard to focus. I’m so pleased and relieved to see them both, but I wish the circumstances were better. Saying goodbye to Taz, Dan and Aaron at Calgary airport twelve hours ago had been so sad, particularly when Aaron kissed me and told me he’d call and email me every day. I feel guilty for thinking more about him than my own grandmother on the flight home.

‘Oh, petal…’ Evie sighs, her voice breaking with emotion as she tilts my head up and looks at me. ‘We’ve missed you loads. I’m so sorry.’

‘Thanks, Vee.’ I murmur. ‘I can’t believe she’s gone… It’s so weird to be back…’ I pause, taking a minute to look at them both. Evie’s changed her hair colour back to a natural dark brown and she looks really great, even if there are worry lines on her forehead. ‘I really appreciate you both coming to pick me up.’