Chapter Seven

I make my way along the corridor, following signs to the communal girl’s dorm. Checking-in was a piece of cake and I’ve left Dan to his own devices, which means I am a Norma no-mates again. I’m getting a weird feeling of deja-vu from University Freshers’ Week when everyone’s desperate to appear fun and friendly, wanting to make a good impression on the first day of term. This hostel seems to be full of smiley, happy, shiny people.

When I finally make it to my bunk and drop everything in a heap, I sink onto the soft duvet. A feeling of triumph engulfs me, knowing I’ve the hardest bit is done – I’ve made it here in one piece with no major drama. I’ve already made a friend and I don’t feel sick anymore. I take few moments to let it all sink in and then I remember that I really need some sleep.

‘You wanna beer?’

‘Jesus!’ I cry, startled by the voice that seems to have come from nowhere. Forgetting that I’m sitting on the bottom bed of a small bunk, I hit my head on the wooden slats above me when I stand up. I fall backwards clutching my head, too busy swearing to notice an arm and a small hand, covered in henna and a mass of bangles, appear from the top bunk.

‘I’m not Jesus. I’m Taz. That must’ve hurt.’

‘Hi. I’m Lexie…’ I shake the mystery hand and carefully extricate myself from the small space, looking up at the bunk above me. ‘And I’d kill for a beer, thanks.’

A surprisingly cold can is handed down as the owner of the hand jumps from the top bunk. She lands deftly on her two feet like an agile cat, making the smallest of thuds. I notice the dreadlocks first and as she straightens up, I’m greeted with a dazzling smile. She reminds me of a small pixie, really tiny with a mass of crazy hair piled on top of her head. She looks like she’s wearing every single item of jewellery she owns as she’s covered in beads and bangles, which jingle when she moves. She’s wearing oversized combats and a black vest top, which shows off some seriously intricate tattoos on the tops of her shoulders and arms.

‘No worries.’ She grins, her eyes twinkling. ‘So, just arrived or have you been travelling for a while? Where you from?’ she asks, taking a large swig from her can. Her accent is definitely similar to Dan’s, but I’m not tuned in enough to know the difference between an Aussie and a Kiwi.

I follow her lead, appreciating the cold beer as it hits the back of my throat and gives me a little buzz of bubbles. The beer tastes a little different to what I’m used to, but it’s cold and wet and I’m past caring. I look down at the can.

‘It’s VB. Victoria Bitter?’ She explains, noticing me reading the label. ‘I spent hours finding a bottle shop that sold it.’

‘Er, it’s lovely. Thanks.’ I say, trying to prevent a small hiccup from escaping. ‘It’s been a long day. I’ve just arrived from London. Where are you from?’

‘I’m an Aussie.’

‘I just met a guy on the bus called Dan, from Perth.’

‘Oh, right.’

There’s an awkward pause, so I hastily decide to fill it.

‘I’ve never been to Canada before.’ Way to go, Lexie. I sound like an idiot.

‘It’s a pretty cool place. You’ll love it.’

I smile shyly, glad that she’s not making a hasty exit, desperate to get away from the weird Brit.

‘Well, my new motto is nothing ventured, nothing gained. I’m sure I’ve made the right decision.’

‘Good motto.’ She says, clinking her can against mine. ‘I’ve been in Fraser for a month already, but it’s been so dead. I was wondering when everyone else was going to show up. Guess you’re here for the job thingy?’