Chapter 12: Gentleman

Ji Hoo and Ha Jin waited under a small shade, as heavy downpour continued in the cold October night. Not long after their fun ride had commenced, rain started, forcing them to stop at a roadside shade.

"What is it with you and rain? This is the third time I am with you, stuck in the rain," spoke Ji Hoo with a grin.

"I can say the same thing about you. Huh!" replied Ha Jin and made a face.

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes, I am. Someone had promised me food and soju, and all I got was this rain and cold wind," muttered Ha Jin with feigned annoyance.

Ji Hoo pursed his lips to stop smiling and shook his head. Ha Jin seemed to be a very simple and straightforward girl. Unlike the awkwardness between them in their previous encounters, she seemed to be opening to him gradually. And to his own astonishment, he was getting unusually comfortable with her after their conversation at the joggers' park.

Ji Hoo put his hand inside his jacket and felt something in the pocket. He pulled out a cereal bar.

"Here, take this. As soon as the rain stops, I will take you to the place where they serve the best Army stew," said Ji Hoo and handed over the bar to Ha Jin.

A bright smile appeared on her face, seeing the bar. Ha Jin was starving, as she did not have a proper lunch that day and all they had at the movie was cola and popcorn. She opened the wrapper and took a bite, then offered it to Ji Hoo.

"No, you have it," said Ji Hoo.

Ha Jin pushed the bar in his open mouth till he bit it.

"You can be really pushy; do you know that?" asked Ji Hoo while wiping the crumbs of his lips.

Ha Jin stuck her tongue out and grinned mischievously. Then she turned to look at the rain again. The rain drops trickled down the shade and formed small pools at their feet. For the next few minutes they enjoyed the sound of the downpour in silence.

"Heartbeat heartbeat...Speeding Up...Heartbeat heartbeat...In My Mind...Heartbeat heartbeat...jogeumssik deo keojyeogane"

The sudden loud ringing of Ha Jin's phone in her bag startled them, but soon Ji Hoo burst into a loud laughter at her choice of ringtone. Ha Jin's face became beetroot red, as she struggled to locate her phone in the numerous pockets of her bag. She glared at Ji Hoo as he held his stomach and continued chortling.

Finally, she felt the phone and pulled it out to discover the call was from So Bin. She immediately stepped a little away from Ji Hoo and picked up the phone.

"Hello, So Bin."

Ji Hoo stilled hearing So Bin's name and looked away from her.

"Hey sweetheart, how are you? What are you doing now?" asked So Bin in a jolly tone.

"I am fine, thanks. How are you? How's everything at New York?"

Their conversation lasted for another 5 minutes or so. So Bin asked about her parents and Ha Jin informed him that they were out of town. Just when their conversation was about to be finished, So Bin spoke, "I called you to say that I missed you. Did you miss me too?"

When Ha Jin did not reply, he asked her again.

"Aren't you missing me, Ha Jin?"

"Yes, I missed you," mumbled Ha Jin.

Her eyes met Ji Hoo's eyes, but she could not decipher what he was thinking at that moment. She said bye to So Bin and hung up.

It was only the sound of raindrops that filled the next few minutes, as both contemplated how to continue their conversation.