Chapter 1 - A Week Before I Met Him

Flashback

Seven years ago, December.13, 2007

"Caddie, come here!!" my dad said.

"I've got a surprise for your birthday!!!" he added.

As soon as I heard that, I hurriedly ran from trying to create a drawing of my dad and brought it along with me to give it to my him since he appreciates my drawings and keeps them all
(I know because when I was younger, I tried to find the cookies that he hid and assumed that it was there in his room. I found the drawing that I drew for him with my mom on it on his drawer; the one that I drew when I saw my dad crying over a picture of my mom. Ever since, I drew a lot of drawings for him no matter how crappy they look like.)

"Here you go, kiddo. Advance Happy Birthday." He handed me a small rectangular envelope with "I love you, my dearest daughter.- your dad" written on it.

"Isn't it too early for gifts?"

"Is it really? Sorry, but I was very excited to hand it over to you ever since I purchased it ,and I knew that you would be so happy. I mean, there's snow and all, and you'll need to pack. Don't you think it's exciting? I mea-"

"Dad, please stop for a minute. You're talking too fast. Did you say snow? And did I hear pack?" I said as I stared at my dad amusingly for his habit of babbling whenever he's excited.

He just nodded and smiled at me while looking at me with those loving eyes.

I quickly opened the envelope and found a small rectangular piece of paper inside it.

I curiously pulled it out and found two plane tickets to New York.

Then dad shouted, "We're going to New York!!!"

"God, I knew this would be the perfect Birthday slash Christmas gift the moment your Aunt Marjorie called and asked us to join her for the Thanksgiving since her daughter had already moved out from their house and she would be all alone this year. We're going a week before your birthday for us to settle in. Then, after four days, it would already be Christmas!!! You'll need to pack a lot of warm clothes since there's snow. Didn't you want to see snow when you were younger? It never snowed here since this is a tropical country and-"

"Dad," I said.

"Thank you so much but, isn't this a little too much?" Make that too much.

I won't call something like this little considering our financial status.

I mean, we're not really poor ,and we're doing fine and all but a plane ticket for a birthday?

That's too much.
Considering that I'm only ten years old.

I'm not a spoiled brat.
Also considering the fact that I'm an only child because my mother died of child birth before giving birth to my twin.

I've never asked for too much because I know that my father works very hard to support for the both of us.

"I only want what's best for my baby. Stop complaining and just pack right now.

"Okay. Thanks dad, I love you too." I said.

"And before I forget, I have something for you too." I added as I handed over him my drawing and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Wow, you're getting better at this. I look exactly like your sketch. Maybe I'll have you applied to some art school or something over the summer..."

"Thanks, dad. Love ya'."

"Love you too. Now get going. we're leaving in a few hours."

This is going to be an exciting trip. Or so I hope.