Chapter 2 - The Day I Met Him

Flashback

Seven years ago, December. 19, 2007

It's almost been a week since we left our hometown to go to New York and my Birthday is not until tomorrow. We're not gonna make a huge celebration but we plan on going somewhere tomorrow.

And yes, I'm part-Asian. My mother was a New Yorker but my dad is a Half-Chinese, Half-Filipino man that went to New York to teach Literature to college students once he graduated.

And yes, I know that it's ironic how an Asian would be a college Literature teacher but despite the irony, he happens to love teaching and happens to be a fan of American Literature.

So therefore, I'm a Half-American, One-fourth-Chinese ,and One-fourth Filipino.

And I hate Math. There goes another irony for you guys but please don't be biased.

Not just because I'm Chinese, it would mean that I'm good at Math. And before you ask, I don't know Kung Foo. But I like sports such as Track and Field, Badminton ,and Swimming.

My Aunt Marjorie is my mother's older sister. We had the same long wavy light brown hair but the similarities stop there on the physical aspect. She had green eyes instead of the black ones that I have as my own, and I was short for my age compared to the other children here in America but compared to the other kids my age on the Philippines, I was tall enough.

We have the same likes and dislikes and that little fact makes me like her more. Makes me wonder if this was what my mother could have been like since I've never met her.

We both liked books and she even had a huge library full of different genres of books that I loved. It even had books that dad liked. From Romeo and Juliet to Archie comic books, she had it all. Fiction, Non-fiction, Sci-fi, Romance, Action, Adventure,... She even had Naruto Mangas. The library was huge and I have had taken a liking to going here in my free time and spending every minute I had reading her books since she told me that I was welcome in reading anything that I like in here.

She was very rich and famous for being a great Architect. Dad says that she designed almost every house in this neighborhood and also designed this very house. I was thoroughly amazed to see her paintings on the walls and found myself saying:"One day, I'm gonna be like her."

We both liked music and she had a lot of instruments in her house. I only knew how to play the piano and the guitar but I'm not that good.

We both liked dogs and hated cats for some odd reason. And, we even have the same favorite color which is blue.

She didn't blame me nor my dad for the death of my mother like most would do and I was very thankful for that since we both lost someone very important to us and I sort of had taken a liking towards her.

We somehow had a mutual understanding because I also lost a sibling.

I was supposed to have a twin.

I was supposed to have a little brother.

I was supposed to have a sibling to play with. Someone to argue with. Someone to share a bed with when we were younger whenever we had bad dreams.

I have never even met my sibling but it hurts to know that you have lost someone without even having the chance on knowing them first. I didn't know which was worse, losing someone you had or losing someone you could have had. My maybe the latter was not that bad because you can't be hurt by someone or something you don't know but you could feel the absence of it.