One || Unexpected Guests

Massive hoodie? Check!

Incredibly soft sweatpants? Hell yes!

Fluffy socks? Check!

Are all the lights off? Uh...I think so?

You pause your mental checklist and take a quick glance around your open-concept living area.

Oops...forgot to turn the kitchen light off!

You hop off of your plush sofa and shuffle across the dark hardwood floors to turn off the bar lights. Your (f/c) socks make no sound on your way over to the light switch. With one flick, you're in total darkness.

Perfect!

"Time to watch my favorite show!" You say to yourself, sliding back into the living room and grabbing the softest blanket you can find. You wrap it around yourself so you're a blanket burrito and reach for the remote. Your flat screen is turned on and you change the channel to (favorite show).

You pull your blanket tightly around your form as the show begins to play, illuminating your face with a white glow. The sound of the characters talking echoes around your large home. It travels up to the empty second floor with its many unused bedrooms, down to the quiet basement, and into the three car garage, which only consists of a single blue Ford Mustang. The large windows throughout your home quiver slightly from the cold gusts of crisp night air. Your home is...much bigger than the average house.

Why is your house so empty, though? Who would buy a mansion with no one to share it with?

Well, it's simple.

People aren't exactly on your nice list.

"We interrupt this program to bring you breaking news," A man's voice says, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"Ah, come on! Boo!" You say, crossing your arms in annoyance. Despite your irritation, you still watch the TV out of curiosity.

  "A young child named Frisk has just emerged from Mount Ebbot with hundreds of so-called monsters," The news anchor continues. Your eyes widen and you lean closer to the TV. The camera zooms in on a group of these monsters and one kid, they look to be about thirteen. A crowd of people surrounds the monsters, all of them are recording the poor things.

The monsters come in all shapes and sizes, some are seven feet tall with horns and others seem to be the height of a small child. The one thing in common about all of them is that they look confused. Startled, even. The kid, Frisk, tries to get the crowd of humans to give the monsters space, but they don't listen to them.

  "We have not determined whether these creatures are dangerous or not, but just for your safety, the police advise you to lock your doors and shut your windows," The news man says.

  "Oh, please," You scoff, "they all look so lost and scared, I doubt that they'd hurt anyone!" The camera zooms in on two taller monsters, they look like goat-human hybrids. One of them wears a crown and lavish purple robes, he has a blond beard and kind eyes. The other wears a more modest purple dress and has a warm smile. They seem to be trying to explain something, they bend down to Frisk's height and whisper something into their ear.

  "These monsters come in peace!" The child says loudly, "They do not wish to bring harm upon any of the human race. I will be acting as the ambassador for monsters," The mass of people begins shouting questions at the poor kid and you shut off the TV. You sink into the couch cushions with a heavy sigh and deflate like a balloon.

Poor kid, You think, a small frown forming on your lips, they're probably going through so much right now.

Man, do I know how that feels.