Chapter 3: Revolution Love

"We'll remember tonight
For the rest of our lives..."
-from "Wings" by Birdy

They ate a simple dinner together in almost complete silence; afraid of what to say to each other. After that, they sat on the floor in front of the fire. The weather was almost too warm for a fire, but there was something safe, comforting about sitting there in each other's arms. It was starting to get late, and Marie got up to leave.
"I have to go; they'll lock me out of the boarding house if I'm not back soon." Marie said, putting on her shawl and reaching for her cloak. Enjolras put his hand over hers as she reached.
"Stay here; spend the night with me." He said softly.
Marie looked him in the eyes. Being with him was all she had longed for, but she was nervous.

"People will talk; they could find out about us." She objected.
"Let them talk. This could be the only time we get the chance to." He said, touching her face and stroking her hair. It felt so good to be held like this. So good to be with him.
"It's funny...I was scared of you at first. You were so fierce and independent; not many men are like that anymore."
"You made me want to be more like that."
"But look at you now." She said, smiling as she ran her finger down his cheek.
Enjolras returned her smile and looked into her amazing blue-green eyes.
"But what if you don't come back?" Marie asked softly, holding him close.
"Then let whatever happens tonight happen." He said as he led her to the bed and sat down with her on the edge.
Even though the fighting had not yet begun, he already smelled of gunpowder and battle sweat.
"You look so tired." Marie said to him, sitting back and taking his hand.
She put her hand on his chest gently; feeling his heart beat.
"Come lay with me." He said to her.
"I'm so scared."
"I know; so am I." He said to her. "But we will face this together." She slid off his vest and took off his shirt, savoring the warmth of his skin. It was the first time she had ever seen him completely shirtless; she had only seen the muscles of his arms flex at a distance, or had simply noticed the broadness of his shoulders. She rested her head on his bare chest; hearing his strong heartbeat. She kissed him on his chest, her parted lips hovering there before kissing him again and again; a line of kisses down his breastbone, which was moving with each slow and steady breath. Enjolras rested her head on his heart, his gentle hand stroking the back of her hair..
Enjolras untied Marie's hair ribbon, a green velvet one that he had given her just two weeks earlier, letting her hair fall around her face in soft waves. He brushed her hair back from her face with his fingers, and kissed the top of her head.
Enjolras took her face in his hands, rubbing her cheeks and then touching her jaw. Marie could feel him tremble. She could sense his nervousness. She knew he needed her to keep him grounded.
"You are so beautiful." He breathed, his lips inches from hers.
"Tonight will change everything." She promised him.He started to undo the buttons on the back of her dress; his strong hands caressing her soft skin. He stopped when he was halfway down her back and started kissing her on the neck and shoulders. The one thing she would always remember was how warm his lips were. Marie was holding him so tight. She kissed him softly on the lips and down his arm until she reached the cold leather wristband.
"Take it off." he said softly. Marie untied it and put her lips on his wrist, feeling his veins pulsating under his warm skin. There was she didn't know how much she loved him, but now she didn't have to wonder. She could feel it with every breath and every touch.
Enjolras gently took the dress off her. He asked her to stand, and she did. She was in her petticoat and bodice; her skin in the firelight was alabaster. Running her hands through his hair and bringing his face close to hers as she lay back on the bed she whispered three words;
"Let it happen." He lay down with her in his arms. If tonight was all they had, they would make the most of it. And if Enjolras died in the morning, Marie would have something to hold onto forever.

She untied the flag on his waist, and let her hands rest on his hips. His body was hard, but his heart was as gentle as a dove.
Marie put her arms down, and she felt his hand sliding down her back. She felt him sliding off her dress and let it fall off the bed onto the floor. He touched her cheek with his fingertips and ran them down her neck. Enjolras unbuttoned Marie's camisole, exposing her pale skin. She had never felt so alive; so alive, and so loved. She ran her fingers through it, feeling his skin slide on hers. She touched his chest, and his fingers glided over her back. As he kissed her, his hand reached up to her shoulder and down to the small of her back.
She had been wondering what it would be like, but now she knew: it was like falling off a cliff and knowing that even if she died, she would have her memories to carry with her.The last button came away, and he traced her smooth skin with his fingers and resting his hand on her ribcage and moving to her back, his strong hand between her shoulder blades. He lifted her up and pulled the garment off, holding her close to him, her skin against his. Marie's touch as she ran her hands down his chest was tender, almost worshipful, and he kissed her as if he was trying to make it last forever.Laying her back down, he kissed her on her collarbone, working his way down. Marie's pulse quickened as she felt his lips on her chest, her stomach and she threw her head back in breathless elation.
Enjolras looked into her eyes and kissed her, his kiss lingering on her lips and her cheeks, then returning to her lips. A million questions were in her head; in her head, but she did not want to know the answers, yet. She just wanted to kept on living this moment in time.She was aware of his breathing, of his touch. Her heart was pounding, and she was afraid that this was a dream and she would wake up alone. She touched his face; kissed his lips, and stroked his hair. Marie couldn't believe that Enjolras was hers, that he had actually come back to her, and that he was here with her, her hand against his neck as their bodies leaned together into the dim dim light of the fireplace. She felt the warmth of his hand against her cheek and the muscles of his leg against hers.More clothes came off, and he pulled the blankets over them; covering their naked bodies. His hard, large body pressed against her soft, petite body; she felt at peace, as if nothing would ever again rattle her, not with him no longer here with her. She had never felt so scared, so afraid and so loved. Never had she felt so alive.

He had her in his arms and brought her to his chest, whispering in her ear that he loved her as he had never told her before. Hugging her tight to him he promised not ever letting go, and taking her hand, moved it to touch his heart. As he loomed over her, Marie ran her hands over his arms onto his shoulders, his muscles rigid, and she gripped his strong shoulders; afraid of losing him. She put her bare arms around him, holding him, wanting to protect him from the coming battle that would begin as soon as he walked out the door when the daylight came.
"Love me like the world is ending." Marie whispered.
And that's when he kissed her. Marie felt his lips on her skin, his body on hers, his breath the only thing she could hear. She had never felt anything so right as she did then; the feeling she did not know existed.