Chapter 15: Love and Betrayal

Stupid girl,
Should have known,
Should have known.
-from "White Horse" by Taylor Swift

TWO MONTHS LATER.......

She was ready to move on and find someone new in her life. Angenette said she knew someone.
"My nephew, Andre. He's not that much older than you, and he is unmarried. I'll have him over soon so he can introduce himself to you."
    A few days later, Marie met Andre for the first time. He was young and attractive, a proper gentleman. Marie noticed that he looked a little like Enjolras, which she liked. Angenette left them alone so they could have some privacy. They talked for a while, Andre telling Marie about growing up. It wasn't long before he asked her about her relationship with Enjolras. Marie was very careful about her answer.
"We got married the night before the revolution and I found out I was pregnant shortly after he was killed." She was at least telling a half-truth.
"What about growing up?" he asked
"I was left on a convent doorstep when I was two. When I turned eighteen I had two choices; join the order or leave to get a job. I always wanted to see the city; so I left."
"It must have been hard; losing a person that close to you."
"Yes. It was."

For the next few weeks, Andre and Marie were close. When they couldn't visit, they wrote. One day, Marie left Danielle at Angenette's and decided to pay Andre a surprise visit. Walking to his house, she saw a woman leave by the door. At first, Marie that she was a maid, until she saw her clothes, and recognized her. She was a prostitute! Marie had seen her now and then around the city; always standing in some alley or corner.
Shocked and angry, Marie left and went right back to Angenette's house. She was fuming.
"I can't believe I let him charm me like that! I thought he was perfect!" she said, devastated, picking her baby up.
Angenette sat down across from her.
"I heard about that, but I thought it was a rumor."
"Really? Is there anymore?" Marie asked.
"He almost got married a few years back; but then the engagement was called off unexpectedly. His fiancé said it was because she was uneasy around him. But people were saying that it was because he was abusive. There are friends of the family that say he spends his time gambling and spending time with loose women. That is the curse of the wealthy; close family keeping unsavory things hidden." 
After that, Marie decided to cut things off with Andre. The anniversary of Enjolras's death came and went, Marie feeling lonelier than ever.