Chapter 5: Morning

"Sunlight comes creepin' in
Illuminates our skin..."
-from "Wings" by Birdy

Enjolras woke up just before the sun came up. He had been holding her the entire night. He kissed Marie on the cheek and stroked her hair, but he didn't want to wake her up; he wanted to see her face when she woke up; he never had seen her wake up, and he knew if he left then, he probably never would. He started to get dressed, washed his face, and lay down next to her again, still shirtless and watching her sleep.
The sun rose and he was still watching, holding his breath, as if somehow doing so would keep her asleep and keep him here with her. She woke up and opened her eyes, seeing him lying next to her, watching her.
Marie sat up and looked at him for a long moment. Marie woke up just moments later, looking into his eyes and touching his bare chest with her fingertips.
"Good morning," he whispered, smiling at her.
"I was starting to wonder if last night was a dream." She said as he cupped her face with his hand and put his forehead on the top of her head.
"It wasn't." he answered, kissing her on the forehead. "I won't mind waking up next to you every morning for the rest of my life." He added, smiling.
"Does this mean you won't go and fight?" Marie asked, raising herself onto her elbow, the sheets covering her body.

Enjolras sat up and turned onto the side of the bed. There were no words needed for what his choice would be; she knew that. A lump came in her throat; she knew this was the moment she had been dreading since she had seen him last night, and she was unprepared now that it had come.

"Please, stay." Marie sat up and put her arms around him and her forehead on his shoulder, skin on skin; she didn't want to let him go; out the door to an uncertain fate.
"I can't. I'll be back before you know it." Enjolras said, sitting up on the bed.
"Please; stay with me. Don't go." She pleaded, trying to keep back tears. "Stay here in my arms so I know you'll be safe."
"You know I have to leave." He said reluctantly, kissing her naked shoulder. "Please promise that you won't follow me; don't try to find me." He whispered, his face buried in her hair. he kissed her forehead, her eyes, her cheeks, and he said all the words he never wanted to say.
"I can't live without you, Marie." He murmured.
"Then don't go." She said quietly.
"I have to leave." Enjolras answered firmly
"I know, but I don't think I can take another goodbye." Marie replied, trying not to cry.
He looked at her with affectionate eyes. "I have to go."
"I know." She whispered.
"I've got to say goodbye to you." He whispered back, kissing her forehead. He stood up and pulled on his clothes quickly.
Marie got up and pulled on her underclothes.
He pulled her into his arms again and kissed her tenderly.
"I will always love you, goodbye, my sweetheart." He whispered, kissing her neck and stroking her hair with one hand.

Enjolras looked over at her, and she knew he was wondering if he should stay.Seeing the flag draped over the end of the bed, she twisted it up and tied it firmly around Enjolras's waist.
   "Go and fight, my love, and know that I go with you." She said. Enjolras smiled at her, knowing the message it meant.
"I won't forget that." He said, moving closer to her. "Marie." Enjolras whispered, putting his forehead on hers. "I love you." He kissed her softly on the lips. "I love you." She held his face in her hands. "I have to go now." Enjolras said, kissing her on the lips and stroking her hair
"I wish you could stay; just a little longer." Marie sighed, hugging him.
"Then I will." He said, kissing her on the forehead, and then he kissed her on the lips, passionately, so the tears wouldn't fall.
They held each other on the bed for the longest time; he was trying to remember the way the sun shined on her hair and how her skin smelled. He wanted to remember her that way if he never came back.
Eventually, when the city had finally awoken, Marie put on her dress. She tied his wristband back on his strong arm. Her fingers stroked his wrist. Enjolras put on his shirt and vest, slipped on his tie, and picked up his gun.
"You look....." Marie tried to find the right words to say; handsome? Dashing? Courageous?
"Heroic." Ended up being her answer. He kissed Marie one more time; this time on the lips, his hand on the back of her head, holding her close to him. Marie kissed him and held him as tightly as she could, not wanting to ever let him go. 
"Stay here until the fighting is over; when it is, I'll come back. I promise." He said softly.
"We'll get married? Have children and a house, just like we planned?"
"I promise." He said again.
"Then I'll be here, my darling, waiting for you."
Marie watched Enjolras from the window until he was out of sight. She knew deep down that it might be the last time she ever saw him.
Be safe, my love. " She whispered, and then she covered her face with her hands, tears falling onto the bed.