Chapter 3

Demi's P.O.V

I woke up the next morning to an empty bed. I hadn't felt Joe's arms move from over me; I must have been in such a deep sleep. Before I know it Joe enters the room holding a tray containing breakfast.

"Morning beautiful" he says as he sets the tray down and comes over and kisses my forehead lightly. Joe then moved to sort out the breakfast

"Morning" I replied as I did a big stretch

"Did you get a good sleep?" he asked

"Yeah, it was nice" I replied

"Well, I brought you breakfast in bed and I was thinking that today I'd pop to the shop and go and get the pregnancy tests, just so we have them. I know we don't plan on taking the test for at least another week, but I want to have them just in case we don't have time on another day"

"Will you pick them up before or after work?" I asked

"Probably after as I finish at 2pm" he replied

"Only doing a half day?" I questioned

"Yeah, the company has told all the staff that the style of shifts is changing. We are expected to work 5 days a week; 4 whole days and 1 half day."

"Oh? When did you find out this?" I asked

"Yesterday morning, but with everything that happened yesterday I forgot to mention it, sorry"

"That's ok. But about yesterday, I'm sorry I got angry"

"It's ok" he replied "Ok, I better get off to work now, I'll see you at around 3pm" he continued as he got up from sitting on the end of the bed and came over and pecked my lips.

"See you later" I called as he left the room.

A few minutes later I heard the front door slam and I watched Joe drive out of the driveway. I'm really proud of Joe, he works for one of the biggest companies in the city, and therefore makes enough money for us to pay for IVF treatment if we needed it; but we have decided to see what this test says, and if it's negative we'll consider IVF.

I place one hand on my stomach and wondered what it will feel like to be pregnant, I wonder how I'll cope with it all; knowing I will have Joe by my side makes me feel supported and loved.

I then turn my attention to the toast with butter and cheese spread on it; my favourite thing at the moment. I eat that and then slowly get out of bed. I got to the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror, I place my hand on my stomach again and try to imagine myself pregnant.

I don't know why but I have a feeling it's worked this time, I'm really hoping we do get this Christmas miracle.

A little while later I decided to do some baking. I got the ingredients out from the cupboard and began to make a vanilla sponge cake.

I mixed the ingredients and then put the mixture in the tin, then in the oven. I turned on the TV and set an alarm on my phone to alert me of when to check the cake. I scrolled through the channels by couldn't find anything on that I wanted to watch, so I switched the TV onto the music channel and then checked messages on my phone.

I had a message from Joe 'How's my beautiful wife doing?'

I smiled as I typed my reply 'I'm doing good and I've got a surprise for you when you get home'

I didn't get a reply but I didn't think I would, Joe probably sent that text when he had 2 minutes free.

Just then the alarm on my phone went off to say I needed to check the cake. I opened the oven and took the cake out. I tested it by placing a knife into the centre and it came out clean so I knew it was ready. I turned off the oven and placed the cake on a cooling rack to cool down.

I sat down on the couch again and played a game on my phone. It was a little while later when I heard a key turn in the front door lock.

"Yum something smells good" Joe's voice said from in the hall

"Surprise" I said back, loud enough so he could hear

He walked into the living room where I was sitting and came and sat next to me. He handed me a brown paper bag with the pregnancy tests in. I opened the bag and took them out.

"You got the ones that say how many weeks?"

"Yeah, I thought it would be nice to know how many weeks you are, it'll be cute" he replied

I smiled at him, little did he know that I had something planned if the test was positive...

He pecked my lips "I love you" he said softly

"I love you too" I smiled back at him

It was soon time for dinner so Joe and I made pasta with a tomato sauce, after we had eaten we had a slice of cake each.

"This is really nice Dems" He said with a mouth full of food

"Thanks" I giggled as I was yet to take a bite, I placed a bit in my mouth and then said with a mouth full "It really is"

Joe laughed which made me quickly swallow what was in my mouth so I could laugh too. After finishing the cake we cleaned up the dishes and then headed upstairs.

We decided to strip the bed as we both wanted showers. Once we had made the bed again and both showered we got into bed, snuggled amongst fresh linen. I hadn't felt this good in a while.