Chapter 5 - Lies

More and more days passed. I had asked Satoko, Mion, Benn and even Rika - a seven year old girl about the killings and I never got a clear answer. This was driving me near to the edge of normality, threating to push me over the border into insania.

"No-one was killed, foget all about it Rena."

"I suggest you leave that subject to people who know more about it, Rena."

"Nothings the matter, does it matter? Whats the matter?"

"I say, your being nosey, I don't like it. For a newcomer to this town your already annoying me, just lay low in this town."

The voices of people I had asked echoed in my head, circling round and round like a merry-go-round. Disturbing my every thought. It was on my way home from another school day with Satoko that I decided to take the questioning further; making it more direct and more impossible to avoid.

Satoko was already a few meters infront of me, and the path where we usually split up to go home was coming closer. I wasn't going to let her get away this easily.

"Satoko?" She diddn't turn, or make any signs of acknowledging me.

"Hey! Wait up! I said wait!" I yelled as I grabbed her by the shoulder. She stopped walking, but didn't face me as I began to talk.

"So Satoko, theres something that your hiding from me, something people don't want me to know, and your lying and deceiving me. Don't Deny it, more people than I can count have lied to me, and I want to know why. There's something your hiding, isn't there?"

"Huh? Nope. I don't think I've lied to you before Rena."

"Your lying."

"What are you trying to say? Its not like I have a reason to lie."

"Don't make me explain what I know like you're a child Satoko. Some-one was killed. I would have written it off as any other murder if it wasn't for all these strange denials. Why won't anione tell me the truth? Am I untrustworthy because I'm new, is that it? Don't be so quick to assume that I'm an innocent too. You should research me up a bit. Find out why exactly I moved to this place, it might surprise you how I can be...understanding of these crimes. So tell me Satoko, and tell me the truth, about this murder."

"Hmm. Looks like you aren't so stubborn. I take it you never ate that food Mion and I made just for you? Do you even remember it? I bet its stored somewhere in the back of your fridge waiting to rot away then to be thrown carelessly into the bin." She chuckled darkly. She seemed so unlike herself, almost possessed as she looked at me with cold, dark eyes. "You should try it, after all it is something we made especially for you. So dont hurt our feelings" She started running away from me."Enjoy!"

Wait! She can't just leave! I started sprinting across the terrain, trying to close the distance between me and her. I skidded around a corner in the path, to find she was...gone. Dissapeared somewhere in the trees. And so I searched.

"No way she'll get away. Not this time. Not anymore."

But no matter how much I searched, there was no trace of Satoko in the place I had saw her flee. But she would be at school. Tommorow I would not be bothered about the onlookers, the ones watching us for gossip in which they could indulge themself in with their friends. They would be insignificant to me, I would find everything out tomorrow where she and everyone else who avoided me would have nowhere to hide. Nothing would get in my way and I would reach the bottom of this incident that seemed to insignificant to everyone else; but they avoided like the plague.

For now I would go home and rest, andtry this meal Satoko was so... enthusiastic about me eating.