The Right Time

Manila, Philippines

Awkward silence, one of the things he really doesn't like. Andre is currently standing by the pick-up area at the airport waiting for Lou to arrive.

"Ehemm..." The woman beside him cleared her throat. The simple noise made Andre swallow.

"So... how long have you and Lou been friends?" Andre finally broke the silence.

The woman looked at him sharply. "5 Years. Since we started college."

"Oh... That's a long time." Andre smiled a bit to ease the tension.

"Ok this is killing me." Jach finally had enough. She uncrossed her arms and faced Andre fully. "Why are you here exactly?"

"Uhmm, to pick up Lou?" He answered uncertainly.

Jach looked at him suspiciously. "Why are you here exactly?" She repeated emphasizing every word.

Andre swallowed, hard. He looked back a few hours earlier.

"Hello Andore? Nandito na kami sa baba!" Yamyam called him from his intercom.

"Ok I'll be there." Andre's heart beat faster. The sooner it is to the time that he will see Lou again, the faster it goes. Now it feels like its going to jump out of his chest. "Calm down Andre, be confident. Laban!" He cheered himself.

He had been waiting for Lou's return because he can finally tell her that he likes her. He is finally taking the risk. He should've done this a long time ago but he always felt that the timing wasn't right. He was waiting for that perfect moment.

He excitedly went down his condominium building and saw the van that Yamyam is driving. He gave both Yamyam and Fumiya a high five from the passenger window and opened the side door of the van. His smile faltered a bit when he saw who was already sitting at the back seat.

"Hey Jach." He greeted forcing his smile.

"Hey." Jach greeted back.

Andre sat at the seat beside Jach. The ride went on with him quietly sitting and Yamyam, Fumiya and Jach talking rowdily.

He always thought that Jach is somewhat mad at him but he can't think of any reason. He made it his mission to clear this awkward air between them if he really wanted to pursue Lou, then he has to make nice with her friends.

His mind dwelled on Jach's question. 'Why is he here exactly? He was here for Lou of course.' He answered himself. He had never exerted this much effort on a girl. And then the answer hit him like a rock.

"I wanted to tell Lou I like her. As soon as I see her. Because my heart cannot take it anymore." He finally answered looking at Jach in the eyes.

Jach cracked a smile and laughed out loud. "OMG I knew it! You are so whipped!"

"I'm not whipped." Andre whispered to himself trying to deny the truth.

"Finally, you've admitted it!" Jach punched him in the arm.

"Well, I wasn't exactly trying to hide it." He massaged his tortured arm.

"Well you've never said anything. Do you know how Lou...Ooompphh" Yamyam suddenly covered Jach's mouth.

"Tumawag na si Lourdes. Palabas na daw siya ng airport." Yamyam said still trying to stop Jach from speaking.

Jach finally extracted herself from Yamyam's grasp. "Pwe... Kuya Yam naman lasang siopao pa yang kamay mo!"

"Ay sorry nagpabili ng siopao si Fumiya eh. Oh eto siopao." Yamyam handed Jach and Andre one piece of siopao each.

"Hello Ramen squad! We are still waiting for Rou to come. Sila sobrang maingay di ba. That's why I'm here and not doon di ba!" Fumiya said to the camera looking back at the noisy group of people in the waiting area.

"Oh its Rou!!" Fumiya excitedly called out as a smiling Lou came out to greet them.

"Humi-humi!" Lou and Fumiya did their hands clasped jumping around greeting.

Yamyam and Jach then joined their little party while Andre looked on smiling at them. Fumiya grabbed his hand joining it with Lou then they continued jumping around as confused onlookers watched them.

"I missed you guys." Lou then gathered all of them for a group hug.

On the way home, Andre still silently observed occasionally joining the conversation as the other four chattered on. His mind is occupied by the different scenarios of how he can finally convey his feelings to Lou.

They all went up to Lou's condominium unit with Andre pulling her luggage, Fumiya vlogging while Yamyam and Jach took each of her arm with their endless chatter.

"Surprise!!!" A dozen people greeted them from inside Lou's condominium unit.

"Hala ano to?" Lou asked bewildered.

"Hindi para sayo tong party na ito ano. Tingnan mo kung sino ang dumating galing Paris" Jullian explained gesturing like a parisian statuete.

"Hannah Banana!!" Lou finally saw one of her long time friends and hugged her tightly.

"Lou-Lou I missed you!" Hannah hugged her back.

Andre looked around the mini party and sighed. Looks like it is not the right time today either.

The party went on for hours. Lou went out to her floor balcony to get fresh air. She was happy to see all her friends. She was happy to see him as well. She felt like her heart is going to burst when she saw him waiting for her at the airport. Her heart skipped a beat when he finally smiled at her. Her heart did a tappity dance when he held her hand, She really wanted to tell him how she feels. She gave herself a little cheer as she decided to go back to the party to look for him. As she stepped out, she bumped into a hard body.

"Hey, you okay?" Andre steadied her.

"Yeah. Hi!" Lou said as she finally took a look at his worried face. She then grabbed his hand and pulled him into the floor balcony. "Let's talk."

Lou pushed Andre into the wall lightly. She then placed both of her hands on either side of Andre trapping him.

"Okay, I need to tell you something." Lou began speaking. She breathed in and out.

Surprised was an understatement of what Andre is feeling right now, His blood is rushing through his cheeks and ears. He doesn't know what to do. He stared straight at Lou's serious and determined eyes. 'She really has nice eyes.'

"I like you." Her words finally penetrated his confused and surprised mind.

"Wait What?!?" He finally responded.

A hint of hurt crossed Lou's face before she turned to go.

"Where are you going?" Andre grabbed Lou's hand then gave her a tight hug. "Did you just say you like me?" Andre asked wonderingly.

Lou buried her face on his chest. She was embarrassed as hell.

"Lou..." Andre slowly pulled her away from his body to look at her face. She looked adorable while trying to avoid his eyes.

Andre pinched both of her cheeks.

"Aray!" Lou finally looked at his eyes while trying to pry his hands away from her cheeks.

"I should've been the first one to say I like you. You just denied me the joy of confessing as a man." He said while continuing to pinch her cheeks. He really doesn't care who confessed first. What he knew is that he is happy.

"Ano ba Andre! Teka lang..." Lou then realized what he is trying to say.

"I said I like you. You cute gangster." He then lightly pinched her nose and enjoyed the sight of her blush rising to her cheeks.

They both couldn't help feeling kilig as they giddily hugged each other.

"We should go back na." Lou said after a while.

"Yes we should." Andre agreed as he took her hand interlocking their fingers as they shyly went back to the party.

He thought it wasn't the right time but they chose to make it the perfect time instead.